Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Smoke? Being blown... er...

well-- being blown somewhere. wink

If we deconstruct this statement, then "robust" here generally means "able to withstand the abuse of novice users and hazardous field conditions," yes?

So it means that it can be just fine in the face of divergent thinkers. Doesn't bother the system at all...

"Advanced Learners." Hmmm.

Well, meaning "ready for advanced material" is one possibility. 'Advanced past the level that their peers are working through' is another...

Personally, that phrase doesn't indicate authentic differentiation much-- but that's given what I know. Take a look (if you can) at the specific materials in use in the coursework-- see if the same materials/text are used for multiple 'levels' of a class. If so, then that is a red flag for 'project-based' differentiation-- meaning MORE work, not more challenging.

As I recall, K12 has an 80%=mastery model. So once you get to that performance on assessments, you move on. It's not clear what (if any) other differentiation happens.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I do NOT want to do K12. It would be a disaster for me professionally to pull him from school.
    Bear in mind, it can be time consuming, just like homeschooling, depending how fast and cooperative your kid is. Some people do manage while working fulltime, but it's a struggle.

Ah, well--I live in a verrrry charter-friendly state...
    Even so, there could be an enrolment cap. You need to get well informed about what it takes to get in, including possibly during mid-year. In it's first year, I believe that ours was letting people in mid-year to replace those who bailed out becuase they couldn't handle it, but then the latecomers couldn't complete a year's work in the available time, so they became reluctant to let people in mid-year.

What is this? "A robust Advanced Learner Program "

It's k12.com's hype. But there is some truth to the claim that radical acceleration and self-paced learning (varying across subjects) is possible and does happen.

U
    U
    No, I know I can't do it while working full-time. I work part-time, but closer to full than part. And I work from home, but still. He's 5. But--very fast, cooperative, independent, etc. He completed the reading assessment in--10 minutes, maybe? Not even? (They say allow 20 to 30 minutes.) Sigh...he's actually just a dream to teach...

Still, I definitely do not want to do it and it would cause all kinds of problems to have to do it. It's just that I would rather do K12 (I think?) than independently homeschool. Teaching is not my strength, at all.

If he does end up doing K12 it will only be for K and 1.

Last edited by ultramarina; 06/10/13 08:22 AM.
    22B Offline
    No, I know I can't do it while working full-time. I work part-time, but closer to full than part. And I work from home, but still. He's 5. But--very fast, cooperative, independent, etc. He completed the reading assessment in--10 minutes, maybe? Not even? (They say allow 20 to 30 minutes.) Sigh...he's actually just a dream to teach...

Still, I definitely do not want to do it and it would cause all kinds of problems to have to do it. It's just that I would rather do K12 (I think?) than independently homeschool. Teaching is not my strength, at all.

If he does end up doing K12 it will only be for K and 1.

These actually sound like fairly ideal circumstances to do virtual school.

Also the lessons are very structured. The major thing you have to do is cut out all the unnecessary activities, just having your kid do what's necessary to master the objectives.

Yes.

I agree-- that is probably a nearly ideal set of conditions. (Ideal, of course, is that you have a NT learner and a full-time stay-at-home parent.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM