Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #159623 06/09/13 12:39 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I was just reminded of this paper which I think I read long ago but which I don't remember being mentioned here. Recommended.
    http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0503081

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    22B Offline
    For those who don't know, William Thurston is a famous mathematician and a Fields Medalist.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_P._Thurston

K
    K
    Interesting. Thanks for the link.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Was, I'm afraid; he died last summer.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Paper by William Thurston
    The competitions reinforce the notion that either you ‘have good math genes’, or you do not. They put an emphasis on being quick, at the expense of being deep and thoughtful. They emphasize questions which are puzzles with some hidden trick, rather than more realistic problems where a systematic and persistent approach is important.

I would say that this is also true for entry into programs like SET at Johns Hopkins.

ColinsMum, I've been thinking a lot about your criticisms of the SAT and am now completely in agreement with you about it not being a good test for gauging math talent. While it's true that a few of the math questions on the SAT can be described as "tough" there really are only a few on each test (they're usually the last question or two in a given section). And even so, just as the Thurston noted, the test is assessing a very narrow range of ideas and applications.

The SAT continues the trend of modern mathematics education as a whole (in the US anyway). The US math education system is organized around problems that can be solved quickly using standard algorithms. There is very little in the way of assignments that require what Thurston called reaching into yourself for ideas. IMO, this problem affects science education as well (and maybe other areas). As we push for more participation and increase the stakes, we end up teaching the students less about how to dig deep inside and end up with superficialities.

I've also been thinking about how this approach affects our national research enterprise (and is affected by it). As anyone in academia knows, US academic researchers today are assessed on the number of papers they publish and the amount of grant money they obtain. The latter depends on the former and as competition increases, projects assessed as "best" are really "projects most likely get the anticipated results" and therefore are overwhelmingly incremental in nature. So, do it fast and get it published is an extension of what postdocs and new faculty members have been taught all their lives in many ways.

And there is no room for slow, risky, but potentially groundbreaking work in this model. frown

Yes, it seems to be more-more-more-faster-more-faster-faster.

There's no time to teach set theory or deductive reasoning and construction of proofs. Nope. We're too busy teaching even secondary students with food and manipulatives to "enliven" the curriculum (hey, maybe the problem isn't that the kids need to be entertained so much as that you need to actually TEACH THEM SOMETHING REAL), and throwing practice tests at kids. They won't see any proofs on standardized tests... so why teach it...

(Maddening.)

The problem with even those handful of challenging problems is that if you're not speedy Gonzales with a calculator, you seldom have ENOUGH time to really dig into them there at the end of the section. DD had that problem with the geometry problems-- she was spending time ENJOYING them.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    So *that's* the real source of the obeisity epidemic-- an enriched appetite for math. The kids are having their pi and eating it too, and it isn't imaginary. (Cue the groans.)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    My perception is that the trends and issues mentioned in this paper have become worse in the years since it was written (1990).
    The internet is better.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Val
    There is very little in the way of assignments that require what Thurston called reaching into yourself for ideas. IMO, this problem affects science education as well (and maybe other areas).

This and the linked article by Thurston was the reminder I needed to reign myself in a little bit. I forget that DD isn't even three yet and she doesn't need to be doing school math even if she wants to. We should be focusing on nurturing her creativity, imagination, intuitive understanding of numbers, and problem-solving skills.

Originally Posted by Thurston
    Another problem is that precocious students get the idea that the reward is in being ‘ahead’ of others in the same age group, rather than in the quality of learning and thinking. With a lifetime to learn, this is a shortsighted attitude. By the time they are 25 or 30, they are judged not by precociousness but on the quality of work. It is often a big letdown to precocious students when others who are talented but not so precocious catch up, and they become one among many.

I think it's fair enough to point out that some precocious students do just fine once they reach adulthood and are no longer a "child prodigy" but I can also see the challenge of having to live up to that identify and overcoming/transforming it.

Last edited by Mana; 06/10/13 12:48 AM. Reason: Correcting autocorrect
    Q
    Q
    Interesting article from 1990. Some school districts must have listened to him or others with the same criticisms. What has truly amazed me with our school district's math curriculum over the last dozen years (only time period I have actual first-hand knowledge) is the breadth of the curriculum. The tree is certainly far less spindly than when I went to school in the 1970's and 1980's. For example, there is kiddie algebra and graphs from second grade, probabilities/statistics and solids geometry from third grade as well as an emphasis on constructed responses/mini-proofs once the students can write well in second grade. That emphasis has also translated to state tests and county tests also requiring constructed responses in math and lots of essay writing in reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM