Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    New evaluation for my dd11 and a rising 6 grader. Her comprehension level scored in the 12grade+ level. Her SpEd teacher indicates that if she is that capable of comprehension, she is capable of putting spaces between her words and writing full, legible sentences! I don't even know how to respond! We had an IEP meeting where we were told that a "label of dyslexia, dysgraphia" was not needed. I believe it is when it is the difference between a behavioral intervention and a bypass strategy intervention at this age. Any advice to move the mountain? we have dealt with this for 5 years!

OP Offline
    Yes we have an expert diagnosis and we were told that the school only needs to take that under consideration but are under no obligation to accept the outside diagnosis and/or treatment recommendations.

S
    S
    Comprehension has nothing to do with your dd's dyslexia and dysgraphia, obviously.

If the special ed teacher said that to me, I would bluntly tell her that she has a fundamental misunderstanding of the condition. I would offer to give her some reading materials on the subject, or offer to bring an expert on the disability to your next meeting so she can be better informed while writing the IEP.

I like the idea of saying "the experts say..." (I'll have to use that at our next 504 meeting!) I'm frustrated on your behalf!

OP Offline
    I have offered to take them to her OG appointments...of course they think she doesn't need OG because she can read. They are SO ignorant about dyslexia to begin with that it's hard to know where to start! She can't spell, cannot write legibly. math (actually writing it out and memorization of facts) is awful, though she can do it well with a calculator and if she can explain it orally rather than trying to write it.

We are told that if she would just use her comprehension skills on these issues, she could make progress on them. So, I got snarky...NOT a good way to handle it but I was frustrated! I asked why they had not gotten the kid in the wheelchair to walk?! He has legs, he sees other kids walking, he comprehends what they are doing, Why can't he use his cognitive ability to make progress on that skill?! .... I was told that was comparing apples to oranges... I let it go at that point.

I think our son may have spatial dysgraphia. We haven't had a diagnosis, but the description fits.

You may be interested in what this site has to say. According to them, public school districts have resources to help children with dysgraphia. They sell a resource guide and offer diagnostic services. (I don't know if it's valuable or not.)

Handwriting Problem Solutions

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    I have offered to take them to her OG appointments...of course they think she doesn't need OG because she can read. They are SO ignorant about dyslexia to begin with that it's hard to know where to start! She can't spell, cannot write legibly. math (actually writing it out and memorization of facts) is awful, though she can do it well with a calculator and if she can explain it orally rather than trying to write it.

We are told that if she would just use her comprehension skills on these issues, she could make progress on them. So, I got snarky...NOT a good way to handle it but I was frustrated! I asked why they had not gotten the kid in the wheelchair to walk?! He has legs, he sees other kids walking, he comprehends what they are doing, Why can't he use his cognitive ability to make progress on that skill?! .... I was told that was comparing apples to oranges... I let it go at that point.

Oh Mamabear I feel your pain. Really and truly.

{{{hug}}}

P
    P
    MoN you were not dumb. You were not slow. I have come to realize that districts rely on the ignorance and naiveté of parents. It doesn't matter how smart or well educated you are. There is a steep learning curve with all of this and everyone has to start at the beginning. They take advantage of this fact.

Even those of us who devote ourselves to learning all we can, doing the research, paying for private assessments, etc run into brick walls. You are 100% correct about them wearing the parents down. All of this comes at quite a cost - not just financially but it is also emotionally, psychologically and physically exhausting. I love your kill em with kindness tactic. I am sure that they come out of meetings with you having no idea what just happened to them. I wouldn't have the self control to go that route myself but I love hearing your stories. smile

I LOVE Mamabear's analogy. I think it was a stroke of brilliance. I also think it is an analogy she can return to again and again as needed.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations