Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    It is hard to remember the very early stuff. When DD rolled over. I just remember going to a mother's support group when she was 4 months and after I sat down on the floor, and put her in front of me, she rolled across the circle to visit another baby. Everyone was a little shocked.

So looking at the later milestones, I realize she was early but I don't remember her being early on the earliest milestones.

DH was uber verbal gifted. And I am the mathy one. DD could do simple calculations in her head, out of the blue. Like how many blocks left to go home. We live in NYC, so when she was 2, we lived on 106th st and when the bus passed 99th, she would say, 7 blocks left. But also, we were in a dollar rent-a-car around the same time and she sounded out dollar. And started reading a bunch of sight words at that point and had 3 word sentences by 18 months. Her vocabulary was at least 2000 by 2. I remember DH and I talking about it.

And on motor skills, although she is a dancer, she also is a bit of piano prodigy so fine motor skills showed up early. But what I think is noticeable is her articulation. That showed up really early. At 2, she was very clear in speaking. And even now has excellent speaking skills.

But she does a visual spatial mind in timeline memory. She remembers like I do. And her math abilities are really strong. So I don't know if she is all around. I am happy with her, I think I will keep her...

J
    J
    My eldest DD(13) was never particularly mathy, but now at high school consistently tops the gifted class in maths (and art... weird combination!) At a younger age her writing was what really set her apart. Her youngest sibling -DD(7)- on the other hand, is way way way more 'mathy' now than her big sister ever was: she absolutely loves all things math, and is double-accelerated in that subject and still topping the year group.
    When she was a baby she was obsessed with drawing- could draw purposeful pictures by 12 months and started writing her name not long after that (by 21 months was labeling her own drawings with her name- and it's not a short name, either!)Her IQ testing (WISC) revealed that her verbal was by far the strongest area (off-the-charts high)which wasn't such a surprise given she taught herself to read very young and speaks like a mini adult smile

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I thought maths and art abilities were a natural combination? Is it visual-spatial?

I didn't let my eldest go near pencils (for ridiculous fear of a,b,c) until he was three. That very day he wrote 'mummy' with a couple of extra sticks lol. I have it framed smile He is also a great artist with paint or pencils.

He is also ahead with languages; is that a mathy kid skill?

M
    M
    My oldest (11) is very verbal, a voracious reader, and very inquisitive. Strong at math skills, but he's the that kid walks around with his nose in a book. My youngest (7) is very mathy and does not care for reading much. (My middle (10) is equally strong in both but knowing that she's not the "bookworm" or the "math geek" she hasn't quite pigeonholed herself yet.)

What I find interesting is that everyone assumes my oldest is off the charts PG because he's such a bookworm and an inquisitive person. He's not; he's solidly MG (although his processing speed is slow, so maybe his GAI would be higher). My youngest mathy one is DYS level (barely) and no one ever thinks of him that way, other than my FIL. It's all about personality in our case!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Mum2twoboys - I have read (here perhaps) that self taught early reading can actually be more of a sign of "mathy" thinking than verbal - self taught reading is strongly about decoding/pattern matching etc, different thing to raising a mini bush lawyer, and unsurprising to see a self taught reader progressing strongly in math...

Interesting. Had never heard that before.

22B Offline
    We also have an early reader who is definitely mathy rather than verbal.

Originally Posted by squishys
    I thought maths and art abilities were a natural combination? Is it visual-spatial?

Are you saying that people with excellent math abilities generally also have excellent art abilities, meaning that they can draw, paint, and sketch?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I think people in general tend to view language acquisition as a natural process while math skills and reading are thought of something that are taught either through direct instruction or systematic exposure.
    There may be some truth to this. School reformers find it harder to raise reading scores than math scores.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/education/reading-gains-lag-improvements-in-math.html
    In Raising Scores, 1 2 3 Is Easier Than A B C
    By MOTOKO RICH
    New York Times
    MAY 29, 2013

TROY, N.Y. — David Javsicas, a popular seventh-grade reading teacher known for urging students to act out dialogue in the books they read in class, sometimes feels wistful for the days when he taught math.
    A quiz, he recalls, could quickly determine which concepts students had not yet learned. Then, “you teach the kids how to do it, and within a week or two you can usually fix it,” he said.
    Helping students to puzzle through different narrative perspectives or subtext or character motivation, though, can be much more challenging. “It could take months to see if what I’m teaching is effective,” he said.
    Educators, policy makers and business leaders often fret about the state of math education, particularly in comparison with other countries. But reading comprehension may be a larger stumbling block.
    Here at Troy Prep Middle School, a charter school near Albany that caters mostly to low-income students, teachers are finding it easier to help students hit academic targets in math than in reading, an experience repeated in schools across the country.
    Students entering the fifth grade here are often several years behind in both subjects, but last year, 100 percent of seventh graders scored at a level of proficient or advanced on state standardized math tests. In reading, by contrast, just over half of the seventh graders met comparable standards.
    The results are similar across the 31 other schools in the Uncommon Schools network, which enrolls low-income students in Boston, New York City, Rochester and Newark. After attending an Uncommon school for two years, said Brett Peiser, the network’s chief executive, 86 percent of students score at a proficient or advanced level in math, while only about two thirds reach those levels in reading over the same period.
    “Math is very close-ended,” Mr. Peiser said. Reading difficulties, he said, tend to be more complicated to resolve.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    JonLaw, I am more wondering that than claiming that. I assumed both abilities go hand in hand.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Mum2twoboys - I have read (here perhaps) that self taught early reading can actually be more of a sign of "mathy" thinking than verbal - self taught reading is strongly about decoding/pattern matching etc, different thing to raising a mini bush lawyer, and unsurprising to see a self taught reader progressing strongly in math...

I have not heard that before but it makes sense in our case as well. Dd (7) who I always assumed was more verbal than mathy (except for her passion for puzzles at an early age) because she taught herself the entire alphabet (upper and lower) and their sounds by 18 months and started sounding out words at age two. When she was tested last summer on the WISC her VCI was 124 which surprised me, and her PRI was 151.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM