Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My son asked me to learn German with him because he wants to go there on vacation after he recovers from spinal fusion surgery. I told him I would try to do one lesson a day, but didn't think I could do any more than that because of things we are dealing with getting ready for his surgery, etc. He doesn't think I have any excuse for not doing at least three a day. He usually does four or five and he is the one dealing with chronic pain.

I did three yesterday and it was easier than I thought. I thought I would have trouble listening to a phrase in German and then remembering how to spell all the words correctly in German, but I did it.

He is also learning Japanese because Japan is the other country he wants to visit. Japanese is not as easy for me.

A
    A
    That's a fun app...I tried the end of unit tests to brush up on my Spanish today after reading your post (so, thank you!). How do you find it for learning a new language prima facie?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I took French in high school many years ago using the old fashioned textbook method of learning. It was slow and tedious, which for me made it harder.

I read somewhere that it is harder to learn languages as you get older, but I am finding that I learn much faster this way than I did with a textbook when I was in high school.

This is a fun, easy way to learn a language that you have never tried before.

A
    A
    Good to hear, thanks Lori.

It's harder to understand spoken language as we age because our non-native phoneme discrimination plummets in adolescence. (Patricia Kuhl is the linguistic heavyweight whose work in this area comes to mind.) But because Duolingo is relatively text-heavy, maybe it's better suited to a mature brain than conventional methods.

I'm going to try it out with Italian. Exciting!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Q
    Q

Thanks for the reference - it looks like a decent site. I hope your DS has a speedy recovery.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent