Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
    ... on the other hand, many children do have classic ASD hallmarks and are still profoundly non-spectrum kids, too.

I think that being non-NT leads to some funky stuff there. DD toe-walked quite regularly until she was about six... and had that eerie, echolalia-type memory for things she had heard/seen on radio or television.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Colinsmum he does not have ASD. (Had this discussion with the ASD specialized pediatrician a couple of years ago)He has 0 signs of it in any other way. Just very particular with his cars. I am suspecting some OCD...Other than that just strong emotional overexcitablitities. Don't know if he is gifted since we haven't tested, but highly suspecting it...

Howlercarma, I think you might be right on with that statement regarding DS.

Last edited by 1111; 05/26/13 09:43 AM.
    M
    M
    I worried about echolallia with my youngest while she was going through massive language acquisition. She would echo everything anyone said and often wander around repeating things from earlier in the day (multiple times). But she's my child I am absolutely certain is not on the spectrum (and so is everyone else).

M
    M
    LOL, love the posts...

Well my 15 month old little man is totally into humming tunes these days. He always loved music but now likes to perform at the top of his lungs especially when he wants to get our attention (which is, of course, all the time smile
    The tunes range from sweet nursery rhymes like Baba Black Sheep and Twinkle Twinkle little star to more serious ones like the theme song from Space Odyssey and Beethoven's 5th which he sings in a deep voice, frowning his brow and dramatically marking the beat with his arms...Hard to keep a straight face especially during time-out smile

Other passions are the alphabet, the computer, the solar system (Saturn is THE big deal, people), the remote and changing channels, any light source, anything he can pull apart and put back together and stuffed or live animals (of note he had a major temper tantrum at the zoo at 12 months old because we wouldn't let him hang out with the lions smile

Keep the stories coming, what a lovely read...

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Jenna
    This is so much fun! I'm smiling going through these posts. My 3.5 J was into numbers and letters at 18 months, then books books books. US states, anatomy, what's inside the calculators and pedometers, dominoes, legos, space.. Yes, yes and yes! His room is full of wall maps, gadgets - loves especially the ones that blink crank-up or have levers, an eclipsing moon, revolving solar system and westeren earth that glows city lights. He has more remotes by his bed than I ever have! Lately he's been asking lots of questions about volcanos and tornados, and counting big numbers. He goes back and forth with puzzles, a week on a month off and round again. We explore these things when he can't get to a park or festival... he is happy jumping and walking around goofy, dancing to local bands, and big climbers. Thanks for this thread - fun sharing!

Your child sounds just like mine! So funny and interesting!

K
    K
    DS 4.5 is really into playing the piano, gymnastics, reading and math. He has an amazing science teacher who has really stoked his passion for the subject.
    They studied food science and now he wants to be a Bromatologist when he grows up. He loves helping out in our vegetable and Butterfly gardens and he helps take care of his three dogs. His major obsession is super heroes, he can spout off unbelievable amounts of information about DC and Marvel characters. He also likes comic books and old cartoons from the 40's and 50's.
    These little guys seem to like the same things as young toddlers, three years ago my post for this thread would have been very similar Jenna's.

O
    O
    My DS 2y10m has been obsessed with clocks since he was around 15 mos. He likes to search through my magazines to find any clocks. The Pottery Barn catalogs are a gold mine for that. He could also spend an hour watching youtube videos about learning to tell the time. Needless to say, the little watch he got for his 2nd birthday is a treasured possession.

Garages are another strange fascination for him. He builds all sorts of interesting structures with his Magna Tiles and, according to him, they are all garages. He loves driving his cars in and out of the garages and opening and closing the garage doors, with the obligatory "eee-eee-eee" sound effect. It is a huge honor when we let him open our garage door with the clicker... That's the best bribe for being quiet in the car.

C
    C
    Ducks, and ducks and yellow and yellow ducks! My DD just turned 3 and has loved yellow and ducks since she was a baby, it became an obsession about a year ago. Give her cat toys and she calls them her ducklings, give her legos and she makes ducks, paint and she paints ducks, etc. She doesn't change her clothes she changes her feathers(all yellow), we don't wash hands and face we wash wings and beak. I'm her mommy hen and her daddy is her drake(mother ducks are called hens and fathers are drakes). She is our duckling and she doesn't have a name she wants to be called what she is(Duck most of the time). If I call her by her given name she gets upset and asks why I didn't know she was a duck when she hatched! smile She actually quacks when she is sleeping sometimes.

She likes other things and even pretends to be other animals sometimes but ducks are definitely her thing. Funny thing is we live by some real ducks who just had ducklings and she is only mildly interested in them, she prefers duck books both fictional and non-fictional, and duck toys.

K
    K
    My daughter is dinosaur obsessed, music is one of her favorite things (guitar, making up her own songs), dress up (we have to wear costumes for everything - because there are long elaborate imagined stories for everything we do), books, books, books and superheroes (dressing like a superhero while chasing her "pet" Quetzalcoatlus around the house singing is pretty much her dream activity)! Oh! and puzzles smile

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    DS16m's newest favourite activity is climbing up to the window sill and standing on it! He also likes to walk along it, and it is only 10cm (5in) deep. It scares me but makes me laugh at the same time. He does it purely for the challenge. This boy is the most adventurous baby I've ever seen!

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM