Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 143 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Val #158608 05/29/13 05:27 PM
    Wow. This makes me glad I live in an area with a fairly low cost of living and fairly moderate average income. When anything formal is done we're typically not asked for more than $5. I usually spend around $10 for Christmas gifts and then anywhere from $10-$20 for end of year gifts. I felt like it got really expensive this year because I spent around $20 per teacher and my son had 2 main teachers and 2 special ed teachers!

~amy
    Val #158616 05/29/13 06:04 PM
    22B Offline
    I've never heard of tipping teachers.

I've never heard of a "room mom".

What is a "room mom"?

Val #158617 05/29/13 06:17 PM
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Maybe it means something different in different areas but where I grew up, a "room mom" was a mom volunteer that helped with school parties and field trips.

The "room moms" were the cupcake bringers and kid herders.

Val #158618 05/29/13 06:20 PM
    K
    K
    Yep, that is the room mom in a nutshell. The person who plans and organizes the parties and brings in the treats. As a room mom I also organized a Christmas gift from the class and an end of the year gift.

Val #158620 05/29/13 06:55 PM
    M
    M
    I work as an instructional assistant in a middle school. I wanted to share my perspective on gift giving. At my school, gift giving is not the norm and is not expected. We do occasionally receive little thank you gifts around Christmas time from individual students and the ones I love the most are the homemade ornaments or goodies. During Teacher Appreciation Week, goodies were left in the staff room. In my opinion, this is a nice way to say thank you. I would never expect more than that. I would feel terrible if I found out that parents were being pressured to give a gift. There are many ways to say thank you and just knowing that your hard work is appreciated should be enough. I agree with those who encourage their children to write personal thank you notes.

Val #158639 05/29/13 08:17 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for all the replies. Wow! This is very interesting.

I do ask my kids to write personal notes for the teachers, and I do feel a bit of pressure to donate to the gift fund. At the school my kids attend, you only get to sign the card if you donate. It seems like it's almost public shaming as a way of forcing people to donate.

I suspect that the people collecting the money wouldn't see it this way, though. I can imagine that from their perspective, you shouldn't be allowed to sign the card if you didn't make a donation. They're trying to be nice and probably don't see that there's another side to their actions.

Val #158668 05/30/13 05:02 AM
    K
    K
    I disagree Val. I never excluded a child from the card and quite honestly, because of that, I never kept track of who gave or didn't give and couldn't tell you today who gave or didn't give. It is the Humanitarian in me that is going to say that I choose to believe that most people would rather include children then penalize them for decisions made by their parents. And I really try to believe that most teachers would feel the same way.

Val #158674 05/30/13 06:25 AM
    M
    M
    For extra's the teachers bring in, it's always related to little things with projects. For example, they did a big section on dinosaurs. At the end, they put on a Museum Night for parents to come in. They had fossil exhibitions in which the teachers bought clay fossils and the kids "excavated" them, then put the fossils together to see what kind of dinosaur they discovered. Little things like workbook pieces around holidays and stuff like that.

Our teachers also give gifts to the children around Christmas and again on Valentine's Day. These include things like books, notepads, pencils, etc.

The fossil thing seems really cool. Is this a public or private school ? I thought the workbook pieces (worksheets around a holiday theme) was pretty standard curriculum.

The teachers do give gifts during holidays -- usually it is grade level workbooks from the dollar shop.

I disagree Val. I never excluded a child from the card and quite honestly, because of that, I never kept track of who gave or didn't give and couldn't tell you today who gave or didn't give. It is the Humanitarian in me that is going to say that I choose to believe that most people would rather include children then penalize them for decisions made by their parents. And I really try to believe that most teachers would feel the same way.

While I agree with this, in general, I think some room moms can be pretty aggressive, for lack of a better word, when it comes to things that they are very vested in. I do think that excluding children from the card list is pretty standard practice -- maybe this is regional ?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by mom2one
    While I agree with this, in general, I think some room moms can be pretty aggressive, for lack of a better word, when it comes to things that they are very vested in. I do think that excluding children from the card list is pretty standard practice -- maybe this is regional ?

OK, maybe I am wrong here. I have a problem differentiating what is normal a lot of the time. I often think that people do things a certain way and find out that they don't. I don't know why that is. My husband tells me that my expectations of others are too high. He says that I expect from others exactly what I give and it isn't realistic. I guess that is a back handed compliment, but maybe people aren't as altruistic as I think they are.

I do think the room parent in my DD class this year is super aggressive and actually quite offensive, so I bet you are right (this is probably more normal) and I am wrong. I find myself seriously disappointed these days.

Sorry to Val!! LOL

Val #158693 05/30/13 08:15 AM
    U
    U
    This is interesting to me. I live in a rather low-income area (per capita income well under 50K--I think it is like 20K??) and teacher gifts (no one has organized one this year which is weird) have always been expected to be at least $10 per family and more like $20. They go to gift cards and are expected at Xmas and end of year both. Because I have heard nothing about a gift card this year, I bought a gift. I gave homemade goodies and a giftcard at Xmas. I have never had a teacher give my child a gift.

Last edited by ultramarina; 05/30/13 08:16 AM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM