Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    O
    O
    DD6.10 will be in 2nd grade, public school, in GT class in Very Large School System in northern Virginia.
    DS4.6 will be in plain ol' preschool. (He'll start public K in Fall 2009.)

C
    C
    Our DS is 8.5 and continuing to homeschool (he's never been in school). Most of his homeschool lessons are on the high school level; a few are just above or just below that point. We have yet to find a traditional schooling method that would work for him.

Tara

Hi Tara,

Glad to hear your son is doing well. Hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

What do you think would have happened if you had just sent him to regular kindergarten without truly addressing his learning needs?

M
    M
    My DS is 3, but turns 4 in November, thus missing the cut-off for our state-funded pre-k (I have called, and there are absolutely no exceptions). We don't use daycare currently - my husband and I alternate our work schedule, with both of our mothers filling in any days we both have to work. I am concerned about my son, and am considering putting him in a pre-school in the fall to get him used to school, plus the pre-k in our county is at local daycare/pre-schools rather than in the actual county-run schools. Does anyone have any suggestions on what sort of things I should look for? DS3 is already reading, knows his numbers, has been able to read the alphabet since long before 2, knows his shapes and colors, etc. After reading the posts, I'm certain that you have all experienced this, and I would love to hear your words of wisdom!

Thanks in advance,
    Victoria

Last edited by Mama; 05/31/08 12:20 PM.
    A
    Ace Offline
    A
    My DD is 7 and will be attending a private school for gifted kids next year for the second year.

Alison
    K
    K
    We keep begging and window shopping at our neighborhood public. Only to keep coming back to... with 29 kids in a class, NCLB, and our LOG... We attend a gifted charter school (public in the it is free sense). I did post a blurb in the region section about it - those of you one for a little bit know I've been lurking here for a year and never tried to "plug" it. but if someone is in the same pickle we are maybe it helps. wwww.loraingifted.com (serves northeast ohio - sheffield - lorain - oberlin - rocky river - avon - olmsted falls).

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM