Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I switched this over from another thread. I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone is planning to do next year in terms of schooling. I am curious to see how it breaks down!

I started the list, but need to go to work, so I didn't take the time to sort through all the threads to see what everyone is doing, so if you aren't on the list, please sign up!

Homeschool
    HSing: Kriston, Lorel, Lmom, Questions
    Hsing Trial summer: Kimck, Dazey
    Considering HSing: Kcab, Neato,

Regular Public School
    ACS
    Dottie
    EandCmom
    AmyEJ

Regular Private School

Gifted School (Public or Private)

Piping in for the youngsters, here. smile

DS4 will go to 3 mornings of mostly nonacademic preschool, instead of early entry to k, with "everyday home enrichment." We will try public K in fall of 2009, and hope they will make accommodations and that DS will like it. If not, we'll pull out and homeschool.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 05/13/08 08:35 AM.
    My 5yr old who has not been tested but has been ahead of his older brother at each milestone will be starting full-day K in the Fall. We'll just see how it goes.

My 7.5yr old, we'll do a trial HS summer and see how it goes and make the decision at the end of summer.

B
    B
    My 5 year old is supposed to be starting K in the fall but we have already figured out that public school just isn't going to cut the cheese so we are sticking with his private Montessori Preschool where he will be the only K student next year...so we are hoping and praying that his teacher will be able to do some researching and planning and make the curriculum challenging enough for him. We are not thrilled with his school...they are basically "playing" Montessori but it is the best alternative at this time (he also qualifies for the McKay Scholarship here in Florida for students with an IEP where the regular school system doesn't meet his needs, he gets the money that would have been spent on him in public school and we are able to put that towards his tuition at his Montessori school....and if we don't use it next year, he will lose it...his preschool has done all the paperwork in order to accept the scholarship)...for the following year we have NO idea and I am dreading that moment!

Both my kids will be in public school.

P
    P
    My girls started out in private but are now in public. DS will also go to public, although he may attend private kindergarten.

D
    D
    My kids are leaving a regular (open admission) private school and entering two different academically selective schools, although no one uses the term �gifted�. Academically talented would probably best describe their students, many of which are likely gifted.

DS5 will be in the extended day/K program at a private Montessori school.

We just found out today that DD3 will also be going to the same Montessori school in the preschool program.

Crisc
    S
    S
    My son (7 in July) is in first in public school now and I hate it. We are trying homeschooling for the summer. I don't know what we'll do in the fall. We are considering a very small private school that says they are for "gifted and talented" but I think they lean more toward the talented (eg athletes, actors, musicians). The entrance requirement is 70% on the ITBS. They want son to take the 2nd grade ITBS and put him in 3rd grade. Money is an issue there and the school only meets 2 1/2 hours 4 days a week. I don't want to put him back in the public school because they do nothing to accommodate him.

DD8 is staying in public next year. Although if she doesn't qualify for the magnet in the following year (4th grade) She will either be homeschooled or attend a private gifted school.

DD5 will try out first grade, IF, she gets a certain teacher that I think will help her overcome her trajedy of a kindergarten year. Otherwise she will be partial homeschooled. She will go to her school with her friends for gym, music, art, lunch and recess and be home the rest of the day learning at her own pace. Yes, I realize that we are very fortunate to have this option, however, there is no guarantee it will work out well.

I guess you can say we are trial homeschooling this summer, but it's not that different than what we have been doing during summer and afterschool.

The girls will have swim team in the mornings, then in the afternoon they will have a fun learning session.

They are already pretty excited about it as we are in the process of sketching it out. They will choose which day is science day, math day, language arts day, etc and then I will provide things for each of them to do. They will be asked to spend 30 minutes on a project and then are free to continue or do whatever else they want for the rest of the day.
    Friday is for whatever we want to do. No swim team, so we can go on field trips, do crafts of sit around and do nothing if we wish! smile
    We also plan on doing other fun stuff like going on vacation, amusement parks, camping etc.
    We are all excited, it looks like a very fun summer!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM