Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Personally, I think that the uniform is the great leveler. It makes things way simpler for the parents - most of whom are both working full time jobs. And it removes the competitiveness around wearing the latest designer/expensive whatever's which tends to unfairly stigmatize kids from low SES families.

I am 100 percent in favour myself.

That is the other reason that is quoted as well is as it is cheaper in the long run. My personal experience is that old ill-fitting uniforms are more obvious than the mix of second hand, cheap stuff and occasional splurge sale item that most poor kids i know wear. Also when i was a teenager i only had two shirts which meant one of them often had to be worn several days in a row.

They are cheaper IF you usually buy new, full price clothes and name brands.

They are a leveller IF everyone can afford sufficient, well fitting, new or second hand items.

A
    A
    I am dying for the spiky hair interferes with concentration argument to be spelled out!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    Dude, that's how I tend to feel, too. I understand in some places it might be a very real safety issue, and I want kids to feel safe so they can learn, but otherwise I feel kids deserve to express themselves as they like. I think uniforms can be great, it's that random mide ground of controlling kids' very bodies that irks me.

St. Margaret, I've always felt that it was important to let children express themselves however they wanted to - I'm a semi-artsy person myself, and a definite non-conformist. When my dd was little, she was all about fashion - and she had her own very unique (and definitely identifiable lol) style. She was so into fashion that when we offered her the chance to change schools to the school her brother was switching to she refused not only because she would miss her friends, but because the school required students to wear a uniform. She was heard frequently throughout that first year ds was at the school shouting as loudly as she could at the universe that she would NEVER ever go to a school that told you what to wear. Well, guess what? My absolutely by-the-farthest most individualistic child with the most wildly creative imagination and her own very definitely *hers* fashion sense, my child most likely to become a fashion designer when she grows up.... is now wearing a school uniform every day because she saw how cool her brother's school was and said who the heck *cares* what they tell you to wear if you're learning interesting things while you're there. And the thing is - imagination goes wild at this school, the kids and teachers are passionate, and it's all about the individual. i used to think uniforms were silly, now I just basically don't even notice them because whether or not you have to dress the same as the other kids really doesn't force conformity on anyone and doesn't surpress individuality in the slightest.

polarbear

A
    A
    Having attended schools with and without uniforms, I preferred the uniform. It really does break down barriers between social groups and promote a sense of community to have students dressed similarly. The uniform becomes an outward symbol of pride in membership when the school has some higher cause than aesthetics that links the students.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    My kids go to public school with a uniform code but not actual uniforms you have to buy specific from a certain retailer. In our case they aren't any more expensive than buying other clothes. Polo style shirts in white or navy for the whole county and then each school can add its school colors for polo shirts. So each child has 4 colors of polo shirts to wear. Then navy or khaki pants, shorts, skorts, skirts or jumpers. Plus navy jeans (pants, shorts, skirts or skorts) as long as they are not ripped or faded are allowed. Skirts and skorts have to be the right length too. Styles of pants are okay...like cargo is fine.

Sock colors are not regulated. Most kids wear white, navy or black socks but some kids wear wild socks for fun. Outerwear is not regulated other than it can't advertise cigarettes or alcohol.

I love the uniform. I have the uniform love! Makes laundry and mornings so easy. Now if my youngest son would stop growing through 3 sizes in one year we would be all set.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    S
    S
    That's good to know, polarbear! smile

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by eema
    And from a safety perspective, my kids go to a private Jewish school and there was always a concern that wearing a uniform was kind of like painting a target on your back. This is less of an issue today, I think, than when I was a kid, but there are still some incidents.

(hug to you)

This old Wendy's restaurant commercial sums up how I feel about "being uniform".

C
    C
    My DS's school uniform keeps me sane :-) - can't imagine what mornings would be like if he had to make decisions about what to wear or I had to supervise them. Given the school's second hand shop and long school days so that he changes straight into pyjamas, it saves me money too. One thing I hadn't appreciated, though it's obvious with hindsight - why traditional uniform for boys his age involves shorts, even in the depths of Scottish winter. Of course: doesn't matter nearly so much when he grows, and when he falls over, he damages only his (self-repairing) skin!

Does leave me giggling at earnest parenting debates about what you should do when your child wants to wear something season-inappropriate, like shorts in winter, though!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM