Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #158164 05/24/13 04:25 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Does anyone have access to the age and grade equivalent tables for the WISC-IV.

I am just curious and don't need to know for any reason so I won't ask our tester. But if someone does and can tell me that would be awesome.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    C
    C
    I'm not totally sure what you are looking for. Because the WISC is an ability test, not an achievement test, and it utilizes the newer way of calculating IQ, I don't believe that there are grade or age equivalents. For instance, the older IQ tests used mental age/chronological age x 100 to calculate IQ. That was called a ratio IQ. The newer tests use a deviation IQ formula which simply shows how much a person deviates from the mean of others who are within the same age range but doesn't tell you that you are functioning at the age of someone who is x years old.

I may be totally misunderstanding what you are asking, though! Can you explain more?

A
    OP Offline
    A
    I was reading that there is a table that shows age equivalents for the subtests in the WISC-IV manual. I was looking for that as a more lay mans way of understanding. I am having issues with our local rec center in placing with ability verses age in certain pursuits and I spoke to the director and he is willing to meet with me and try to better understand DD so I thought something like age equivalents would help demonstrate to him.

Apparently the chart shows "the average age at years and months which a given total raw score is typical. For example, a total raw score of 21 on the comprehension subtest corresponds to a test age equivalent of 9 years 10 months"

So I thought just knowing those would help me speak with him when I do, although I don't think they would be all that accurate, it might help him to see how dd would fit with the average 9 year old, ie the age of her best friend.

Last edited by amazedmom; 05/24/13 04:50 PM.

DD6- DYS
    M
    M
    Amazedmom I understand the desire, I've desperately wanted the same tool at times too. It seems like it would be easier for a lot of people to understand. I understand why they changed from ratio IQs, but a similar way of describing level might be useful in some situations, particularly with the "This child is not the SAME as a child x years older, but does have the reasoning abilities of, and many of the skills of an x year old."

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    "This child is not the SAME as a child x years older, but does have the reasoning abilities of, and many of the skills of an x year old."

exactly! That is what I was hoping to say to him and show him. He seemed amenable with meeting with me, but in the past even though the instructor of the camp when dd was 4.5 requested dd be allowed to do the flora and fauna camp for 1st through 3rd graders he refused. And she wrote him saying dd was more capable than most of the children ho would be in the camp. He says "if we make an exception for her then the other parents will want exceptions made." I am hoping that presenting him with scores etc he will see what she needs and will make exceptions and maybe even put a policy in place. Sigh. We only have one thing on the whole island so I don't have many options for activities, and ALL activities on the island take place through this group.

DD6- DYS
    T
    T
    I believe the WISC-IV has age norms, not age equivalents, for the purpose of scaling raw scores...

M
    M
    Try googling "IQ to grade conversion chart". There are some charts out there to get an idea, but they are not necessarily linked with the WISC IV.

T
    T
    Apparently the chart shows "the average age at years and months which a given total raw score is typical. For example, a total raw score of 21 on the comprehension subtest corresponds to a test age equivalent of 9 years 10 months"

We got that, it was labelled as test age equiv. It's not what you're thinking, though, because if they max out a subtest it says it's equivalent to a 16 year old, and I can tell you that my six year old was in no way, shape or form even vaguely like a 16 year old. Not even in the ballpark. Scaled 17 and 18 was 13 y.o, and that is just not accurate, either.

For reference, your child is a standard deviation above mine. I think you need to embrace the concept of the tests just not meaning a whole lot other than that she's way way out there.

Last edited by Tallulah; 05/25/13 05:19 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations