Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    I keep meaning to add that I also had the perfect recall of where's in a book I had I had read something so could always pull out the reference to prove I had remembered a quote correctly when arguing with someone over the content. I have lost that skill. Not sure if I lost it through age or through 11 years of sleep deprivation and parenting 3 little forces of nature?

Last edited by MumOfThree; 05/24/13 03:43 PM.
    M
    M
    Ok my post just appeared twice, despite being submitted once and when I tried to delete one it just says it was edited. I'm confused.

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    HK I also had a perfect score on that test when I did it about 6 years ago (also quickly). I was confused that all these people who had so much more vocabulary for discussing color than me did not find it easy. I didn't really think that test was a measure of anything more than being able to see well? It was so obvious and easy, I do recall having a couple that troubled me but felt there was no better option than what I had done. You honestly think it comes down to more than decent vision? And a decent screen?

Yes, I think so. I mean, most people genuinely don't see some of those colors as "different" from one another, even side-by-side like that.

Me, on the other hand, I can tell you which ones are the outliers. From memory. There are two in the top band, both on the yellow-green side... etc.

I can actually see which color selections I'm referring to when I write that, though. It's my experience that when I do things like that (for example, matching paint chips without reference samples, buying thread of a particular color from memory, etc) other people really notice. So I think in my case, it's only partly better vision. I think my brain is actually adapted to it somehow, as well.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    I, on the other hand have an appalling visual memory. I have a 30" canvas of a photo I took and won awards for that's hung in my office for over 6 years that I can't perfectly describe. It's embarrassing. I have to "speak" what I see to myself in order to be able to recall the data later. For example in a card game of memory I need to name the cards with words as I flip them in order to remember them, no such trouble with the spatial placement, just the visual of what was on the card.

M
    M
    That said, while looking at a piece if clothing in a store I can generally make an excellent assessment of its match for another item in the kids wardrobes at home. Although I would not say I can "see" the item at home that I'm matching.

Q
    Q
    I have an impeccable, savant-like memory for movie scripts where I can outwardly declare them verbatim.
    I also have phenomenal spatial memory where I can remember precisely where a cd is located amidst 100 on a shelf (for instance). I remember the layout of houses and location of furniture, books, and any items even if it has been years since I last saw it.

I also have trouble taking MC tests because I feel an overwhelming amount of memory for the content being measured.

this does seem to be the extent of my memories though.... It's not even "useful".

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM