Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    My DH did find my spatial ability useful when he was in a foreign city and trying to walk to his hotel while on a business trip. It only took me Google maps and five minutes to 'navigate' him while he TOLD me what he was looking at.

I never really know what DD will have perfect recall of and what she won't. It can be frustrating, because she does NOT remember what she has been TOLD. She does recall what she reads, so much as it annoys her, I still give her to-do lists via text or e-mail. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    T
    T
    Howler, are you a tetrachromat?

It's pretty much savant level, in my case. ANYWHERE that I've been, I can find again. I recently found a little restaurant in the Latin Quarter (tucked into an alley) that I'd been to once the week before (led by a school tour guide through the streets for about a mile), and managed to find it using landmarking and just... well, okay, this sounds silly, but a sort of internal compass. My DH no longer doubts my ability to act as navigator. I can almost do this from maps.

I have an internal compass, too, but I have to calibrate to a map. I have to have a sense of where I am in the world, which way is north, etc. Plonk me in a new city and I'm unsettled until I've seen a map.

There was a piece on NPR about the journalist spending time with people who use directional tags in their language (I greet you from SSW of your position, or The tree to the north of me is beautiful). At first she could not keep track of directions, then it clicked and she described it like having a headup display bird's eye map inside her head. That's what it's like for me.

Found it! Radiolab, of course. http://www.radiolab.org/2011/jan/25/

The remote Australian Aboriginal community of Pormpuraaw, located on the western side of the Cape York peninsula in Queensland, northern Australia, offered an interesting way to further test the hypothesis that people represent time by using their spatial cognition. Unlike all of the groups previously tested by Boroditsky’s group, the Pormpuraawans rarely use relative spatial relationships (left, right, in front of, behind, etc.). Instead, they extensively use absolute directions (north, south, southeast, etc.) to represent spatial relationships on all scales, including the spatial relationships between objects (“Can you please hand me the jug to the southwest of your cup”). This trait is shared by as many as one third of the world’s languages from various geographical settings.

To function in societies whose languages use absolute rather than relative directions, it is essential that its speakers always stay oriented. Among speakers of the Kuuk Thaayorre, one of the several native languages rooted of Pormpuraaw, a person greets another by asking, “Where are you going?” One would look quite foolish if they set off southwards after answering “A long way to the north.” Having a permanent and near perfect internal representation of one’s direction is known as “dead reckoning.” With it, people perform extremely well not only in their familiar settings, but also in new settings, including within the interiors of complex buildings.

Last edited by Tallulah; 05/20/13 07:02 PM.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you for sharing everyone!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Just stumbled upon this article; I'm not sure what this means in relation to my son. He has no 2e issues. He is also at least two years ahead in literally every area.

http://www.autisticsociety.org/news/article/sid=163.html

Howler, are you a tetrachromat?

I think that it's a distinct possibility.

A few years back, this made the rounds at another community that I'm a part of-- I was the only person I've ever known to get a perfect score, and... well, honestly? It was easy. The entire thing took me under five minutes-- the abbreviated version linked below more like 90 s.

Hue Matching Test

Now, if they had wanted to make it HARDER, they could have asked me to remember colors and select/order without the original in front of me. THAT, I think I could have done, too, but maybe not perfectly.

L
    L
    My son could memorize songs and scripts faster than much older kids when he was four. I remember an older kid in his musical theater class telling me he must be "autistic or something" to be able to do that. When he was about seven he could listen to the news and remember all the main points and even paraphrase what he had heard so I knew it wasn't just memorization. When people would ask me if I had heard something in the news I could ask my son to tell us about it and he sounded so much smarter than I did that I let him answer. This stopped when he saw the reactions of people in our small town. As he got older he became more guarded about what he would say in front of people he didn't know very well.

He could remember enough about typical things someone he was imitating would say and use this to do really good impressions of them. Combined with his sense of humor he could do comical improve scenarios with his impressions. He has an extremely good memory for sounds and smells.

My mother had a really good memory for jeopardy type trivia. She read all the time. Her memory was good until she was in her 60's and had surgery. I am trying not to think about that right now.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I scored a 16 on the hue matching test, and now my eyes are broken wink

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I wonder if my son's abilities are just simply eidetic abilities, rather than savantism. He could do most of the things on the list, but not to the extent that the other savants could.

Yeah, my only problem with that is that there are couple in there that aren't differentiated only by HUE, but also by saturation/shade differences as well.

There are about six samples that are like that-- so even when they ARE right, they still bug me, but I can't get them "better" because they aren't in the right continuum in the first place. LOL.

M
    M
    HK I also had a perfect score on that test when I did it about 6 years ago (also quickly). I was confused that all these people who had so much more vocabulary for discussing color than me did not find it easy. I didn't really think that test was a measure of anything more than being able to see well? It was so obvious and easy, I do recall having a couple that troubled me but felt there was no better option than what I had done. You honestly think it comes down to more than decent vision? And a decent screen?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM