Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 247 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    My response would begin with a question: Why do we have to keep gifted children in under-stimulating environments all day, then finally get around to offering them what they need on their own time? Don't the students deserve better?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dude
    My response would begin with a question: Why do we have to keep gifted children in under-stimulating environments all day, then finally get around to offering them what they need on their own time? Don't the students deserve better?

I like Dude's question - but otoh, suspect the principal would respond by noting that in an ideal world the school would like to meet the individual needs of all the children during the school day (not just the gifted kids).

One thing that I thought about is RTI - do you have RTI across the board (in theory) in your school district? RTI is being implemented that way in our district, and in addition to catching at-risk kids prior to them needing SPED, it's supposed to (totally in theory lol!) be used to differentiate for higher ability too. So if RTI is *supposed* to be taking place across the board where you're at, that's another angle to argue for services during the school day - because it's basically saying that instruction needs to be differentiated, and it's something your school district is (in theory) supporting with time/$ already.

polarbear

Z
    Z
    If the afterschool is going to happen, could it be mixed with some compacting such that instruction is taking place in the afterschool and students are exempted from some regular homework and can do enriched homework during redundant class time?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    If the afterschool is going to happen, could it be mixed with some compacting such that instruction is taking place in the afterschool and students are exempted from some regular homework and can do enriched homework during redundant class time?

Interesting idea. I'll definitely look into that one.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    Just a few thoughts-

Our public school does this, at least at the middle school, 5th-8th grades. We also have a pull-out program and live in a state with no gifted funding or mandates, so things may not apply.

Re: sports, here they begin after the "enrichment period," which is a time period immediately after school ends, lasts 50-60 min. All kids are encouraged to stay for the enrichment period, it is when teachers are available for extra help, the computer room and library are open, there are study halls available for those who just want to do homework, or one can choose intramural sports or going to the fitness center, various clubs, etc. So while math club (the only math enrichment here) and other clubs geared toward GT kids meet then, so do all the other activities.

Re: transportation, there are scheduled "late buses," a limited run schedule to take kids home after the enrichment period. Many kids stay after enrichment for athletic practice which generally lasts till 5ish when pickups are easier by parents.

While I have heard good things about the math club, and the school refuses any acceleration, etc in this area, our kids have not wanted to join. DD has joined another "academic" geared afterschool club, though, and loves it- suspect it is mostly related to the subject matter being of more interest to her.

Overall, I agree that this sort of plan is lame, but recognize that our school is inflexible, refuses acceleration, etc, and budgets are tight now; while I don't like it, I am glad that at least some opportunities exist. Better than nothing, if you will.

ETA: I suspect most of these decisions stem from the need to provide equal opportunities for all- since we have no funding for GT. To provide any perceived extras to any subset of kids would be taboo here- even the GT pullouts are balanced by "push-ins" where the GT teacher does units in the regular classroom involving all the kids.

But a lot of classes after school are not school based so may be during the enrichment period.

I can see it might be the best you can get but doing hours of underchallenging work followed by one hour challenging stuff doesn't seem fair. Can the be excused normal maths if they do more challenging stuff in the enrichment club? She could do her homework and balance things out a bit.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if there is ever a dispute between the teachers' union and the school district, all after school programs are instantly nixed for the 'duration'. Regular 'in school' programming remains intact. You do not want your child to be subject to the whims of bad school district management (more than they already are at least)...

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/10/13 04:16 PM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Good Luck! I have been *somewhat* successful by asking straight, clear questions. I have sent the link you have referenced, along with the school's policy regarding gifted and talented (mine says that the district must have a clear identification process made available to parents) and asked for the identification procedure and the current curriculum that happens during the day and the numbers of kids involved. Oh, and I asked for the response in writing. After 5 years, we have a gifted and talented pullout program that is best described as "camp". It is a start. I didn't always sound so business, but after 4 years, I realized that they weren't going to do anything. Once they had to put it in writing, they came up with a plan. I think they might have been scared that I was going to appeal the "gifted and talented" program to the next levels. By the way, the district and I aren't on the best of terms, but they don't lie to me nearly as much, or are better at covering their tracks. And I too, have gotten better, I ask for everything IN WRITING and in conjuction with state and district policy.
    I wish you luck.

callie
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM