Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
    Isa #15456 05/07/08 03:39 PM
    Hee hee.

I think I am Legend is on demand for cable.
    DH wants to see it, so maybe this weekend.

incogneato #15519 05/08/08 11:55 AM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Don't watch it if your DH has to travel.....;)

I just bought 'American Ganster' but I do not think I will watch it tonight.

#15639 05/09/08 01:30 PM
    what's a spider? besides an arachnid...

I *so* do not speak computer, but isn't that some sort of search engine-type thingie?

Kriston
    #15644 05/09/08 01:43 PM
    Originally Posted by kcab
    I think it means a web crawler in this case -- automated script looking for information on-line.

Yes, like I said, a search engine-type thingie...

:p

(LOL at myself and my utter lack of knowledge!)

Kriston
    Kriston #15706 05/10/08 10:50 PM
    Ann Offline
    Any good book recommendations for me (not DS)? I'd prefer nothing sad that will trigger my RE or make me think too hard. I'm ready to imitate my cat - find a sunny spot - and stretch out. Happy is good - escapism is good. I've only had time to watch one movie w/in the past 6 mos and really enjoyed it -- "Long Way Round" (docu).

Ann #15707 05/10/08 10:52 PM
    acs Offline
    So does this mean that your done with your Semester?

Ann #15714 05/11/08 05:46 AM
    W
    W
    A type helicopter coffession. Thursday night, DD is floating in her bath and we are talking. Conversation about how the 4s in her class are turning 5 and going off to kindergarten and next year she will be 4 and there will be new 3 year olds. Then she goes off to kindergarten and turns 5.

Asked what then and I talk about grades 1 through 12, then she goes to Harvard (like her daddy) and when she is 5 goes to a big party at Harvard (DH has a big reunion year). Next morning we are walking to school and at a street corner there is a dad and son. I say that I bet this little boy is in her school. Yes, he is, just turned 3, is in a toddler room. The father asks DD what room she is in and how old is she, tells him Purple and 3 years old, but then she goes on how she will turn 4 and then 5. Then she goes to kindergarten, then grades 1 and then after grade 12 she will go to Harvard. This father looks at me, and I saw the look on his face. She is only 3 years old and you have trained her to go to Harvard.

I thought it was a light hearted conversation but part of me thinks it is a good parents' expectations were high, just like DH's parents' expectations were high. His mother talked about Harvard, pushed his oldest brother to apply. Her father was an Irish cop. DH's father was the first to go college and won a scholarship to Carnegie. But the ethic is such that you go to a really good school and you take something that gives you a profession. A profession that supports you.

Since DH and I are older parents, many of our peers have children that are in college or coming out. And those kids are living at home, figuring out next steps as they approach 30. That wasn't an option when we were growing up. My brother was strict with his son. Wasn't going to pay tuition unless it had a job assurance likely at the end. My nephew took engineering. He does like it, but he also has a good job, now is engaged and saving to buy a house, while supporting himself.

I am not sure how to straddle between supporting a child and their interests and helping them become independent. My parents came to Canada post WW2 (separately) but with nothing except their education. Which allowed them to rebuild their lives, when many had homes, families and were native with language.

Mother's day rambling.

Thanks for the coffee shop thread, to enable the rambling.

Ren

Ann #15715 05/11/08 06:38 AM
    Ann, I sent you a pm.

Happy mother's day everyone!!!!! smile

EandC

Ann #15717 05/11/08 06:57 AM
    Originally Posted by Ann
    Any good book recommendations for me (not DS)? I'd prefer nothing sad that will trigger my RE or make me think too hard. I'm ready to imitate my cat - find a sunny spot - and stretch out. Happy is good - escapism is good. I've only had time to watch one movie w/in the past 6 mos and really enjoyed it -- "Long Way Round" (docu).

I like mysteries when I'm looking for escapism and no RE. They're not happy usually, though. Mindless puzzles to solve, I suppose.

I always enjoy Sue Grafton. Sherlock Holmes is fun.

Also--not a mystery--I recently enjoyed "The Time Traveler's Wife." It's a bit sad in places, I guess, but not a book you'd cry like mad over. I'd call it rather hopeful, I guess.

Mostly what I read these days are books for homeschool or books about the Norse. So I'm not a great one for offering recs, I'm afraid...I'll read the recs of other people with great interest, however! smile

Kriston
    Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...