Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #156484 05/13/13 07:28 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I think that the aspect of deciding on educational acceleration for ds6 that has most surprised me is the resistance from the school, family and other parents of gifted kids. To say "resistance" is to minimize their opposition, truly.

I suppose this continues to surprise me because these same folks would never be so outspoken on differences of bedtimes, potty-training, media choices or diet. There is in our area a sense that you only comment on these parenting choices when specifically asked for advice, and only them to share your views. And yet, I am time and time again being told what is best for ds in very strong terms, by folks who know little about where he actually is academically let alone how quickly his mind works.

Children are different. All children are different. We do not expect them to have the same hobbies, eat the same foods, choose the same books for casual reading, etc., etc.. We make allowances for differences in tastes, personalities, interests and athletic abilities. So, why does our culture impose age-based limits on learning?

I'm venting a bit. Preaching to the choir, too, I know. But I've not been at this long and am already growing tired of hearing, "He'll level out by 2nd grade like my child." Or, "That's not usually done." To the latter, I feel confident simply asking if they typically have a child with his particular strengths in the school... "Only time will tell," has been my offhand reply to the former.

E
    E
    I'm right there with you! We are in the middle of trying a subject acceleration. Once a week my DS goes to fourth grade math. He is doing ok, but is coming across gaps. He does fills the gaps quickly. But the level.of ignorance from EVERYONE except the principal, is astounding. When we tell his teachers, for example, that DS (6!) asked to learn how to figure out the volume of the air in our car tires....and how the volume changes in cold weather....it means nothing to them. The reply is, "then why is he slow multiplying?". They have no desire to nurture his talent and passion.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by eastcoast
    When we tell his teachers, for example, that DS (6!) asked to learn how to figure out the volume of the air in our car tires....and how the volume changes in cold weather....it means nothing to them. The reply is, "then why is he slow multiplying?".

My cheeky thought response is: "In the same way that a teacher can be great with the middle of the curve students and be incompetent in understanding gifted kids and asynchrony."

I am time and time again being told what is best for ds in very strong terms, by folks who know little about where he actually is academically let alone how quickly his mind works.

Consider the source, basically.

I only understand what makes my PG DD tick because I am myself at least HG.

She's so far over the horizon for most educators that they have NO IDEA what her inner landscape as a learner is actually like. It's like a prairie dog trying to imagine what life is like for a killer whale. Most teachers are prairie dogs. Occasionally, you'll meet a seagull. If you're really, really lucky, your child will at some point encounter a seal.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets