Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    have you tried drowning them in information? After you have droned on in great detail for a few minutes about some book she read the other day you will see their eyes glaze over. Then you say "well that is enough about us, what have you been doing". I haven't tried it in this context but I have in others.

Why can't you jus be honest and say that you are not comfortable comparing your son with other kids. Giftedness is such a unique territory for each child. Your son is "turned on by ancient civilizations" whereas her child may be "turned on by myths and ancient religions." Both are hungry for learning but that is probably where the similarity ends. Giftedness is not a cookie cutter.

D
    D
    Can you just tell her outright that you know she is interested and you know she only wants the best for her child but the questions make you really uncomfortable?
    Sometimes it is hard to tell someone the truth about these things but I think once you do you will be better off in regards to this woman.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have talked to this mother and other mothers in a small gifted group that meets up about testing, curriculum, this forum, etc. I have even sent this group my livebinders (one of them - http://www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=637677&backurl=/shelf/my (others under wivenhoe) which includes a DYS link.

This particular mother is anxious, I know (and probably jealous too). She's told me that she keeps feeling like her daughter is missing something or missing out on something. She's got her daughter in many extracurricular activities and programs. She's been told her daughter is gifted, but so far has refused to get her tested. I know she's not confident at all about homeschooling. She's insecure and really believes that IF she can just get the right adult-directed curriculum, get her daughter to follow a program, achieve high scores on tests, etc. - that she'll be set. Though, I really wonder if they ever believe they'll be set. I tend to think if they had a pg kid that they would still be anxious regardless if they had perfect SAT scores at aged 10 or something. These people are so consumed by performance that they can't see the forest from the trees.

Today I was reading Peter Gray's book, Free to Learn, and thinking about my 2e pg son, the situation with these tiger Moms, etc. I don't know if anyone here has read the book, but it sums up the situation. Many parents today want to direct/protect their children and control their education to the nth degree. This mother is no different.

Many, many parents today are anxious about the future. They're nervous about future job prospects for their children. I don't blame people for being anxious, it's just I don't want it shoved other people's anxiety and jealousy in my face.

Last I bumped into this mother, I did say that each child progresses at their own rate and that when her daughter is ready she'll start doing 4th, 5th, or 6th grade work. I said that just because my son is doing 4th, 5th, or 6th grade work doesn't mean he's got the breadth or depth, which is partly true. Still, I could tell that this reply was not enough and will never be enough for people like her. She wants something she cannot have - security, total control, and a compliant, obedient, high achieving daughter.

Other people don't necessarily want to accept that everyone is different, including gifted or 2e kids. They don't want to accept that giftedness embraces a spectrum and that even within the category of pg there is a broad spectrum. What can you say? I can bring a horse to water but I can't make them drink it.

If my son wasn't friends with her and if we didn't keep bumping into her at the Y, playgrounds, playgroups, etc. then I wouldn't belabor the situation. However, I think I'll be sticking to discussions about Downton Abbey in the future. I can't really discuss my son's videos - they're all on Mayan cenotes or something similar. Better still, I'd ask about fairies. That's a world I'd like to learn about too.

Still, I feel bad for the daughter and other children like her. Their overbearing parents and pressure put on them will doom them if they're not careful.

wow. I didn't know about kidtopia. Thanks cdfox!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    La Texican - You're welcome. I keep creating livebinders when I see great websites or stuff and I don't want to keep that stored in my head. So I love them. There's just too much to keep track of and resources otherwise.

I haven't read it yet but - Madeline Levine's book, Teach Your Children Well: Parenting for Authentic Success - has got a section on the tiger moms and the perils with parental pressure and high achievement. I'm sure there's nothing about pg parenting in the book, but I'm sure there's something about dealing with the voices of fear that are loud and incessant (though never completely unfounded).

As pg parents, we provide the pond for our children to learn and navigate around, but not the ship.

Originally Posted by Michaela
    But Mesoamericans are FUN, and Egypt is so... Cannon. Everyone knows about them.

wink

I agree! Such mystery! However, hieroglyphics grabbed me.

cd:

You could try the favorite response of managers when asked about work-related things at a party: "Let's not talk shop...how about them____?" (insert favorite sport team)

We tell our son not to share details with people and to say if asked, "That's personal information." Perhaps you could say the same and if she persists, ask her her weight.

You get the idea.

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Originally Posted by skateycat
    Thanks for starting this thread! I don't have any answers myself, I am still pretty gobsmacked by a jealousy incident that came up in my own life a few weeks ago.

DS7 said something really sweet about a friend of ours that just moved to Canada - that he wished he could move next door to our friend because he missed him. A mutual friend of all of ours who really dotes on DS7 completely got his knickers in a twist, as in "How come your DS doesn't want to move next door to me?"

Both friends are grown men, so the fact that our friend expressed so much jealousy over the innocent affection of a 7 year old kinda freaks me out. My husband posted something about "Now now friend, DS just likes Canada way more than where you live." and left it at that.

My feeling is that now I look at our jealous friend a little differently, as someone whose got a hole in his heart that I can't fill and it's not my job to fill (NOR MY 7 YEAR-OLD'S). Healing from jealousy is an inside job.

I can however stay out of the trap.

This? Is creepy. See the book The Gift of Fear and trust your instincts.

I second this. Many victims later said that they ignored "that feeling".

S
    S
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    Still, I feel bad for the daughter and other children like her. Their overbearing parents and pressure put on them will doom them if they're not careful.

Yep, my son made it very clear to me a few years ago that he was not a trained monkey for me to show off. So I fight off the temptation whenever it comes up.

It's made it a lot easier to introduce accelerations when I learned to follow his lead and his enthusiasm for life.

I ask people if I can ask how much they weigh or for their Social Security number when they ask how much Native American I am. It does make people realize that they are in fact asking a very personal question and one fraught with big issues of identity in a vein similar to trying to compare gifted children.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    Today I was reading Peter Gray's book, Free to Learn, and thinking about my 2e pg son, the situation with these tiger Moms, etc. I don't know if anyone here has read the book, but it sums up the situation.

Just put a hold on this at our local library... thanks for the recommendation.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM