Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    Pru Offline
    P
    Math is revered in this world, not verbal. Intellectually to be good at math is to be pretty. To not be is to be plain or ugly. Verbally gifted girls have been learning this since the earliest age.

Even DD9, whose latest reading scores are in the 11th grade advanced level, has no self-conscious sense of being smart. She even asked me the other day whether she was smart. She gets A's in math, but works hard to maintain them and does not work above grade level. But she eagerly points out again and again the "smart" boy in her class who is good at--surprise--math.

I tried to explain to her that there are many ways of being smart, just like there are many athletes. Nobody can say a professional football player is a better athlete than a professional ice skater. But we know that the world at large praises and pays the football players more.

I don't want to try to make her something she is not in order to garner more praise. I think these programs that sincerely try to lure girls more into math and the sciences are unconsciously repeating the same popular myth that smart people are math and science people.

How about telling these girls that their depth of insight and sophisticated humor are as impressive as if they could do three-digit multiplication in their heads? The problem is that nobody is telling them this. I'm sure if DD could do three-digit multiplication in her head she'd be a celebrity in her school. Her fellow classmates would be pointing her out as the "smart" girl.

On that rambling note, I will leave with this awesome quote (sorry, no time to look up source but it's from 100+ years ago):

The highest and yet the simplest mode of education consists in teaching mind to manage itself--to understand and make efficient use of its peculiar endowments--to profit by its own mistakes--and to bring into practical exercise what, in theory, it admires and loves.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Pru
    Math is revered in this world, not verbal. Intellectually to be good at math is to be pretty. To not be is to be plain or ugly. Verbally gifted girls have been learning this since the earliest age.

Even DD9, whose latest reading scores are in the 11th grade advanced level, has no self-conscious sense of being smart. She even asked me the other day whether she was smart. She gets A's in math, but works hard to maintain them and does not work above grade level. But she eagerly points out again and again the "smart" boy in her class who is good at--surprise--math.

I tried to explain to her that there are many ways of being smart, just like there are many athletes. Nobody can say a professional football player is a better athlete than a professional ice skater. But we know that the world at large praises and pays the football players more.

I don't want to try to make her something she is not in order to garner more praise. I think these programs that sincerely try to lure girls more into math and the sciences are unconsciously repeating the same popular myth that smart people are math and science people.

How about telling these girls that their depth of insight and sophisticated humor are as impressive as if they could do three-digit multiplication in their heads? The problem is that nobody is telling them this. I'm sure if DD could do three-digit multiplication in her head she'd be a celebrity in her school. Her fellow classmates would be pointing her out as the "smart" girl.

On that rambling note, I will leave with this awesome quote (sorry, no time to look up source but it's from 100+ years ago):

The highest and yet the simplest mode of education consists in teaching mind to manage itself--to understand and make efficient use of its peculiar endowments--to profit by its own mistakes--and to bring into practical exercise what, in theory, it admires and loves.

Beautifully said.

G
    G
    Pru, I wish out daughters could meet!

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Which state are you in? I am in Adelaide. My son is six years old and in year one.

I, too, have been having trouble getting my son's teacher to help- and I don't even have a psych report (Long story: I did take my son to get tested, psych made many mistakes, corrected the summary of her report; I have not wanted to use it as it looks so dodgy and I am now waiting for him to be retested in November). I am no expert, either, but since you do have some high numbers there, plus a high FSIQ and GAI, can't she at least give your daughter some extension work? Have you spoken to the principal? Could you do private tutoring?

Since my teacher (in a nice way) refuses to give my son anymore than one year's extension in maths only, I have been taking him to a maths and English tutor. He is doing year three English and year four maths and is excelling. I get a report of that end of this term, to which I can politely shove that in the school's face smile

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you for all the replies and links and advice for program's esp to help with Maths. This is very helpful & i will do that. We know our kids and the outside voices sometimes cause us to doubt ourselves and them but I know we mustn't. His site is very informative. I am particularly grateful of the advice given with those who have high school kids - great for looking forward! Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM