Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Can anyone believe that I'm happy with out the meeting with our principal went?? I am. It wasn't everything I wanted it to be, but I am hopeful. I think the principal was quite shocked with the results we presented.

She seemed to have a good understanding about gifted kids are different, have different needs, and need differentiation. She did say Cogat is a requirement, but will be automatically assessed because of ds scores for acceptance in gt program. She said she will place him with gifted certified teacher in a cluster of kids "that are high candidates for gt program". Once in gt program officially, gt teacher will do pull- out for math and LA. Also, use of typing as opposed tto handwriting is fully allowed (the school gives tablets to kids who this benefits to use) for content, expression. She talked about gt teacher also does work with kids about social/ emotional. She mentioned homework would be projects, not busy work.

So, she said all the right things. We had asked about acceleration, but she said let's put these pieces in place. if its still not working, let's talk again. She also said over and over that raising Ds will be very taxing on us with lots of ups and downs. Great. Thanks.

One other thing I liked was she recognized the importance of all the parts- educational and emotional/ social.

She did push my buttons a few times. Asking if I volunteered so much to be monitoring what was going on? Of course I was curious what happens; but I wanted to be there. I enjoyed helping and sharing fun times in the class. Every child in the class knows me and I like that. The principal also mentioned she would need to talk to next year's teacher so they are ready for me. She also said she has seen the anxiety on me.

Only teared up once. Happy about that. Overall, good vibe. Glad we had those numbers or this meeting would have gone a different direction. Yay!

Oh- she also said no contact with next year's teacher for 4 weeks. Okay, I will abide by the rules.

B
    B
    Glad to hear this. I hope all goes well and the teacher next year works out.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you blue magic. Hope this works/ helps. We'll see.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent