All right, let me see if I can get this out right without actually referring to the book (that would be much too sensible). (and yes, preggo brain is still in full force. I can't finish the harder sudoku puzzles anymore - pathetic! and frustrating.) I think Silverman says something to the effect that kids with high IQ scores are likely to have VSL strengths, with or without the left-brain weaknesses - simply by the nature of the tests.

Ok, let's see what I can find in the book... Here's one section, not the one I was looking for: "Visual-spatial ability is another way of being smart; it is just less often recognized than the left-hemispheric, sequential skills that lead to academic success. individuals who demonstrate exceptional visual-spatial strengths, imaginistic thinking, complexity of thought, humor, empathy, musical talent, artistic expression, or creative imagination, are indeed gifted. They may not always score in the highest ranges on IQ tests, because these measures are geared more for sequential learners. Most IQ tests emphasize verbal abilities, with few items taht assess visual-spatial abilities. And these items are usually timed, so the examinee has to be fast as well as adept. The strengths of the visual-spatial learner are harder to asses (How do you measure if someone has superior visual imagery??), but these individuals are still gifted. As the very least, they should be assessed on untimed nonverbal tests in addition to verbal tests." Upside Down Brilliance, p. 50.

It sounds to me that there she was talking primarily about VSLs who may have left-brain weaknesses. I was looking for a different passage - let's see...

"Basically, I've come across two distinct groups of gifted VSLs: high spatial, high sequential and high spatial, low sequential. The exceptionally gifted have highly developed visual-spatial and auditory sequential abilities. It is interesting to note that they tend to be ambidextrous as well (indicating strong development of both hemispheres). The children who are brighter than they appear at school often have highly developed visual-spatial abilities, but poor auditory-sequential abilities.
"Exceptionally gifted VSLs can learn by auditory-sequential metnhods, but learning that way often feels boring. They prefer to learn all at once, in great intuitive leaps, where they see the pattern, and everything fits together for them into a coherent whole.
"They lead with the spatial system, and if they can't get the concept that way, they will resort secondarily to more tedious, sequential p;rocesses. Learning in a step-by-step fashion seems painfully slow in comparison to grasping an entire idea all at once - seeing it and understanding it completely in a lightening flash...
"It makes more sense to give these students difficultg enough material so that they, too, have to struggle to learn...'No student should be deprived of the right to struggle.'
"Dee Lovecky's warning about what happens when exceptionally gifted children are 'forced at too young an age into others' molds' needs to be heeded. I have counseled many exceptoinally gifted VSLs who turned off their innate way of knowing in order to fit in better with the mainstream. Some lost all interest in learning, underachieved, and eventually dropped out of school. Some forfeited their strong suit and became rigid auditory-sequential learners, allowing their visual-spatial abilities to atrophy...
"The other type of visual-spatial learner, hihg in spatial abilities and low in sequential abilities, poses an even greater challenge to educators. Reading, writing, spelling and calculating - the basic curriculum of elementary school - may be difficult for them to master. Children who struggle with the '3 R's' are not perceived as very bright and often feel dumb. It helps them to know that VSLs usually get smarter as they get older, and that their time will come." Upside Down Brilliance, pp. 63-65.

That still wasn't the passage I was looking for - oh well... (on the upside, my doc appt yesterday indicates preggo brain may be ending sooner than I thought; if only to be replaced by sleep deprivation brain)
smile