Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thinking about having DS achievement tested. What are those tests like? Is it like a MAP type test? DS is slow with computation but can understand virtually any abstract concept. Will the slow computation hurt his score? Do we need to review topics with him beforehand?

We are considering this to: avoid the portfolio route for DYS, because it's quick way to really figure out what grade level he should be in and because it shouldn't be so costly. Thanks for any input!

K
    K
    We signed up ds for the Explore test through Duke Tip. He was in fifth grade and the test is geared toward eighth graders. Ds is also slow in computation but he still scored quite well.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    DS is only 6, so he is too young for talent searches.

How old is your ds? Explore is not available (that I know of ) before 3rd grade. They can use calculators on and that can fix the slow computation issue for many kids. None of these test are like MAP as far as I understand. I believe the MAP test will increase or decrease difficultly based on the child's performance. The are not computer based testing.

If you have already had IQ testing can he test wi the tester again for achievement?

It seems significantly easier to get into DYS with scores instead of portfolio. I would just get WJ achievement done.

The test are going to give you a real grade level. The individual achievement test can give grade equivalent numbers, but it's not actual grade levels. It means the child performed as well as the average child would at grade X. It does not mean the child perform this well on a higher grade level material. The other issue is individual achievement test are not well line up with curriculum in the schools.

A good way to figure out actually grade level is if you have a school will to administer curriculum based achievement test above grade level. MAP testing maybe a good measure for grade level information. I just don't know enough about it to say. Others might be able to pipe in with a better answer for MAP.

Is your son in a public school? If you are looking for scores for DYS, I would ask the school if they offer one of the three achievement tests accepted by DYS. Our local school used the WJ-III. The nice thing is that if your school is willing, the testing is free. Otherwise, you can get the same testing done privately.

The achievement tests are not like the MAP test, which gives you a really good idea of what your kid knows when they take the test. It is progressive and keeps asking questions as long as your kid can answer them, and is more comprehensive than the WJ, e.g. I believe the WJ and others are not nearly as comprehensive, asking only a few questions per grade level. But I'm no expert. Hopefully someone more familiar with those tests can share more info.

P
    P
    There's one thing about the WJ-III Achievement tests that could potentially be a gotcha (it was for our EG ds) - most of the subtests are untimed, but each "Broad" score (for reading, math and writing) has one timed subtest that is averaged in to compute the "Broad" score. Those subtests are labelled "fluency" and are purposely timed to measure how quickly the student makes computations etc. If you're seeking out the testing to qualify for DYS, I'm not sure I'd want to pay for it simply because of a concern about speed. I would ask the school district if they'd administer the tests first.

I also, personally, would probably rather test with an achievement test that was more tied in to either our school district curriculum standards etc - simply because I've found the WJ-III Achievement tests not all that helpful for us outside of helping discern how 2e challenges impact my kids.

Best wishes,

polarbear

E
    OP Offline
    E
    DS is in public school. The school already said no to testing. So we have to do it on our own. One of my concerns is putting together a portfolio for DYS. DS is not going to be ok with a video, so all I will be able to submit is worksheets. Does anyone think that will be enough? If we go with the achievement test, should we spend time teaching him more math....to help boost scores and counterbalance the speed issue?

How is his reading fluency? You can qualify with Broad reading scores as well. It's tough for all of the achievement test used to qualify for DYS seemed to have a timed section in them somewhere. For purposes of DYS qualifications you could attempt a portfolio with his IQ scores and test on achievement only if they ask for more information. I think I have heard others mention they will allow 6 months to submit additional requested results.

You could try to set up a "sting operation" with the video camera wink

Maybe others that successfully used a portfolio could pipe in with their experiences.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Does the WIAT have timed portions?

WIAT does have timed sections. I am not very familiar with WIAT. Two of my kids have taken it once each over the years because it was a what the school used for them. I believe there is a timed section in Math, Writing, and possibly reading as well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent