Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    cc6 - I absolutely understand the "IF". I was gifted as a child (I think I lost all my giftedness when I gave birth to my two monkeys! lol) and I also have a lot of the same issues as both of our boys. And as far as I know, I'm not autistic. I'm just overly sensitive to too many things and tend to tune out a lot to compensate. I am 100% sure I'd be labeled autistic if I was a child now and going through an evaluation. But that still doesn't answer whether one or both or neither of the boys are Autistic or not. It just makes me always wonder. So finding an actual issue we can work on rather than keep guessing is a huge improvement.

Last edited by Mk13; 03/20/13 02:26 PM.
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Q
    Q
    I am late to this thread.
    I have an apraxic child.

I think what you are asking is tricky.

Think of it as a spectrum in that some kids may be more apraxic than others. Because of this a child may hit aspect of apraxia and not others. Some kids are more apraxic than others. Kids that are apraxic Are often considered late talkers. My child was not.

Conditions such as SPD/sensory issues, CAPD can be comorbid with Apraxia. I believe attention issues can also be found comorbid.

Now, on the other side, apraxia can be comorbid with ASD.

Because of this, one can see overlaps between the two.
    If a child is apraxic with sensory issues, that can be hard to differentiate.

Apraxia, because it is a motor-planning issue, one can also see gross motor or potential fine motor issues. Besides CAS, one may see oral apraxia.
    Can your child lick his lips? Blow bubbles? Use his tongue to touch the side of his mouth?

In apraxia, communication often falls apart at the sentence level. A child may be able to do an individual sound or an individual word, but trying to say them all together, it falls apart. That falling apart may happen at a word level or at a sentence level.

Traditional speech therapy usually does not show fast improvement for apraxia. Apraxia therapy has much repetition, and often is multiple times a week.

Does your child have apraxia? Does your child have ASD? Does your child have ASD with apraxia? Does our child have Apraxia with sensory issues? It could be any, and it may take time to figure out the best diagnosis.

Of course, then when one adds giftedness to the Above....it just becomes convoluted super fast.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM