Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 143 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    So, I'm sure many people remember all my complaints about my ds in kindergarten. Got testing results (see "Results are in" in twice exceptional). I am in healthcare and spoke to a colleague OT (in another state) who suggested I ask school to do OT eval. The problem is tester recommended grade acceleration+ gifted, and do vision therapy and get seen by OT for poor fine motor and some sensory stuff. My colleague also said OT should be able to do vision therapy as well as the other stuff- "if they're good".

Well, frankly, I'm afraid to ask for acceleration and OT eval. What would you do? He NEEDS the acceleration. (I know he needs the other services too, but won't my insurance cover OT sessions? Also, though neuropsychologist recommended OT, she said he's in normal range now. I guess I'm worried if I fight too much for OT stuff, I definitely won't get academic challenge. Which based on this year, will be very, very bad.)

I'd love to hear your insight! Thanks!

D
    D
    Why do you think you would not be able to get both? It is entirely possible that both are appropriate. A child can both be gifted and have a disability / area of need.

OT cannot do vision therapy. You would need a developmental optometrist for that.

To get anything from the school, you need them to do their own educational eval. I'd share the report with them and ask them to assess the needs. Don't say "he needs OT," state what the needs are and what deficits have been identified, and how those are manifest in the school situation, as well as the need for different content. The book From Emotions to Advocacy gives good guidelines for this kind of letter.

DeeDee

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DeeDee-
    Thanks for your thoughts! This is definitely not my area of expertise; and I feel like everyone has some differing opinion. Makes it confusing. I already have the developmental optometrist appt. they were so helpful and nice that I want the eval either way. As far as neuropsychologist was concerned, she thought we wouldn't get school help with OT, because right now he is in "normal range".
    Good advice about describing weaknesses. Neuropsychologist suggested we say that "we" will work on getting handwriting up to 2nd level.
    I will look into that book too. Thanks! (Probably should have been studying it in preparation; yet I kept doubting what I thought. Now I know.)

I agree, it sounds like you can ask for both and see what happens. My son is facing a similar set of therapies, although we are not in the public school system yet so there are no options but private for us. My son needs vision therapy for sure. He had an OT eval for motor/sensory on Monday and we are waiting for the results from that.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Portia- makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining it to me. Everytime I learn something on this forum, I tell myself that one day I will have more knowledge and experience and can help others.

Bronalex- thank you also. Good luck with your ds and keep us posted!

Will report back how the meeting goes...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent