Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #155804 05/07/13 09:42 AM
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I am thinking of investing in a program for the mornings to keep DS in the groove... What do you all recommend? A homeschool program? A CTY course? I am clueless, I have never done this before but he will be entering 3rd next year and from what I hear it gets VERY challenging and I need him focused. All input appreciated. I may even call his DYS advocate.....

Have you had a chance to look into any of the e-gifted courses? That seems like it might be a good thing given his age.

Also-- you definitely know your child, but one thing that we have found helpful as DD has aged into middle school and beyond is to give her summers as a "breather" from the academic workload. It's not that it's "hard" so much as that the VOLUME increases stepwise at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th grades.

So we don't really do the 'academic' thing during her summers. We used to homeschool year-round, and just kind of take those mental health vacations as needed, but following a school calendar doesn't allow for that. This makes it all the more important for a kid who needs a break to recharge to REALLY get a break from that environment during the summer.

She does plenty of OTHER stuff during the summer, but conventional workbooks, report-writing, and assignments-- no.

We're also fans of the 4 consecutive half-day camp on a particular topic. Intense, but over with in a hurry. KWIM?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Summer breaks are a requirement for our DD8. When her peers start talking about summer camps and new scheduled activities, we ask her what she wants to do for the summer, and she emphatically says, "NOTHING!" Not only does she want no additional activities, she also chooses to exit the activities she's already in (though this year she has decided to remain in her gymnastics class for the summer, which is something of a breakthrough for her). She would rather spend the days in the pool, and/or playing with her friends, with the occasional travel opportunity mixed in.

Since she's already working so far ahead, and because she couldn't stop learning if she tried, we're happy to oblige. I'm also confident that if we insisted on her doing some sort of learning activity through the summer, she'd resent it, and her attitude towards learning would take a sharp nosedive.

Your results may vary.

Originally Posted by Portia
    We do. Mainly because he doesn't get academically challenged in school. This is our last year of private school and we begin homeschooling full time.

For the summer, he has to chose 2 sports (usually swimming and something else). He has to chose 1 1 week long, half-day camp (lego, theater, etc.).

For academics, we usually work no more than an hour a day. He really likes things from the Critical Thinking Company.

This year, he will do 1 class with EPGY. 20 mins a day.

The rest of the time, he explores his own ideas and creations.

That's the same problem our DD8 had in public school, and that's how summer became such an important detox program for her. It's probably a sign of how well homeschooling has worked out this year that she's actually interested in maintaining one summer activity.

Ultimately it's up to the parent to figure out whether the needed summer solution is "feed the beast" or "back off." The kids are pretty good at communicating the needed approach, if someone is listening.

Don't forget khan academy or sumdog are free. We're slowly working through the Usborne Interner linked Encyclopedia of World History with a pencil, paper, and 3-ring binder. You read a two page spread, write a summary, and draw a picture about it. It goes in a 3ring binder full of page protector pockets. I don't know how long it will take us to get through the book (at least a year, maybe a few years). We're not hurrying. It's outlining, note-taking, summarizing, and an intriduction to World History. When it's over my kid will have made a keepsake, his own book of world history. He'll be ready to study them more in depth after this, his first exposure to world history. (idea from the well trained mind).
    We're not going to do it this year, but summer before last we signed up for SuperCharged Science with Aurora Lippor. We did the "robotics" which was more like circuits, but did make moving projects. We're not doing it this summer, but my son is looking forward to taking her chemistry section soon. I recomend Supercharged science. I bought everything on the robotics list from radio shack and the grocery store and put it in a bucket. I had my son watch the video and pull out the right parts and then I helped him do the projects.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent