Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Very cool! and seconding Mo Willem's books--we LOVE him. He makes all of us laugh--even the 12 yr. old.

will I find these at the local library? I am not familiar with those at all.

I've tried taking him to the library story times but he freaks out and cries and wants to get out but I am thinking about simply taking him to the library to start choosing his own books. It might help him get used to the building and the atmosphere there that he's clearly scared of.

Willems' books have won the Caldecott Medal, so most libraries should have his titles. They're hilarious. My personal favorite is "Should I Share My Ice Cream?"

How have I missed that one? We love Knuffle Bunny and the sequels to it.

C
    C
    Yay!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    Very cool! and seconding Mo Willem's books--we LOVE him. He makes all of us laugh--even the 12 yr. old.

I've tried taking him to the library story times but he freaks out and cries and wants to get out but I am thinking about simply taking him to the library to start choosing his own books. It might help him get used to the building and the atmosphere there that he's clearly scared of.

Library story times can be pretty overwhelming, with kids crying and parents all wanting to talk at the same time. Checking out the library at other times of the day is a good idea. The children's librarian can give you other book recommendations. Just a quick question though - I have that I Spy Book and just wondered how you knew he was reading versus reciting what he memorized? Also, I think sometimes kids will refuse to show you they can read aloud because they don't realize you can't hear them reading in their heads.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Mana
    For those of you with little fans of Mo Willems:

http://www.gomo.net/page.php?name=Games

I am not too crazy about the pigeon books. DD thinks it's funny to impersonate the pigeon and while she might think it's funny, it's really not that funny to me.The elephant and Piggie series, however, is a great teaching tool. It's all about friendship, situational humor, and physical comedy. The character's facial expressions are very easy to read and they match the sentence on the page precisely.

The books that have fun "I Spy" features are:

- Knuffle Bunny Too (you'd have to read a pigeon book and Leonardo the Terrible Monster first)

- Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs (the pigeon appears three times, I believe)

Others have cameo appearances too but I really enjoyed those two books. Mo Willems is a very popular author so you should be able to borrow all of his books from your local library.

The pigeon was what made me love him in the first place, but I think it depends on the kid. My oldest can see and understand why it is funny but also that the pigeon is not a good role model! Sort of the same deal with Junie B. Jones--I read the whole series to my oldest, realized after "Junie B. Jones is a hair-cut guy" that it was a bad idea to read to the youngest. But...I still risk it and read the pigeon ones to her. He just makes me laugh too hard to keep it from her!

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by MotherofToddler

Library story times can be pretty overwhelming, with kids crying and parents all wanting to talk at the same time. Checking out the library at other times of the day is a good idea. The children's librarian can give you other book recommendations. Just a quick question though - I have that I Spy Book and just wondered how you knew he was reading versus reciting what he memorized? Also, I think sometimes kids will refuse to show you they can read aloud because they don't realize you can't hear them reading in their heads.

It's simple ... I know for SURE he's reading because he doesn't let me read anything to him. Never did. So there is no way of him having anything like this memorized. In the 3 years of his life I have read him only one or two books. Out of this one he let me read one sentence. He just goes through the books by himself alone. He does not have the patience to listen to anyone reading to him (he does love reading / listening to books on Kindle because he can go as fast or as slow as he wants).

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I do find the pigeon books funny and I find the character somewhat endearing as well but when DD puts on her pigeon performance, it's cute for 10 seconds then it gets tiring very quickly. SO says he is a G-rated version of Cartman from South Park but he isn't that bad. MK13, DD is a night owl like your boys so "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late" is a favorite around here.

lol! Will check it out!

M
    M
    Wow, that's really amazing that children can learn to read even when no one reads to them.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by MotherofToddler
    Wow, that's really amazing that children can learn to read even when no one reads to them.

I know! I still don't fully understand how he did it! When he was 18-20 months, he kept bringing me these plastic letters and wanted me to say their names. Then it got boring so I started telling him the phonetic names too. Add to it his addition to Leapfrog videos and at 2 years 4 months I realized he was phonetically reading words I wrote down for him. A week later he decided goofing around with phonetics is too slow and now he just looks at the words and either reads them clearly or mumbles it as close as he can get it. His biggest problem is speech delay. It's hard to read out lout when you can't talk much! lol He is much more sure of his sounds and the whole speech when he's reading.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    This made me laugh yesterday! My husband had actually never seen DS3.1 read, other than occasional word or two or couple home videos I made a while back. Last night the three of us were sitting in DS's room and I pulled out a new puzzle for him. He started putting it together and then went ahead and read the title "Gian Animal Floor Puzzle" and I could see the light in my husband's eyes! It was like "WOW! He really can read!". Of course, 10 minutes later, we were flipping through a new book DS got for his birthday and then he turned to the last page and attempted to read the abstract on the back. He did really good the first couple of sentences, just mumbling or skipping the words he didn't know and then just got lost and gave up at which point my husband says ... "see, he doesn't really know how to read". And I was just thinking to myself "did you actually expect him to read at an ADULT level? Because that's the level the text was written in!" ... he did really good ... considering ... smile

Last edited by Mk13; 05/06/13 02:51 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent