Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 143 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I was looking at their summer classes for my 9 and 11 year old. The topics seem enticing, but there isn't a lot of information. Any general comments? Are the classes well-done? If you used them, what ages are your students?

Thanks in advance for any info.

G
    G
    I'd personally never heard of them before you asked this question. But I have to say, based on the website, I'd probably be unlikely to enroll. This is from their website FAQ:

2. Do students who sign up for membership and classes need to be identified officially?
    No. Many high potential students benefit from our academically rigorous curriculum offered online through our various classes. Students who ponder, wonder, and want to investigate more will be stimulated with these classes. We have found that there is a spillover effect in that often students who are not gifted begin to piggy back on ideas and blossom into active scholars. Students must be serious about learning.

While I'm sure "high potential"/"not gifted" students *do* benefit from the classes, my goal when I'm seeking gifted enrichment is to give my child the best chance to benefit with similarly gifted peers. In a class like this I'd worry that a gifted child might be frustrated by a slower pace, a lack of depth and/or teaching styles that work with highly motivated NT students versus gifted kids. We have enough of that in day-to-day; no need to pay extra.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by La Texican

I'd not seen that. Thanks!

J
    J
    Hi,

My name is Jennifer Gordievsky and I am E-gifted's CEO. Wanted to invite you to check out a recorded class to gather more information. Here is the link: http://egifted.adobeconnect.com/p2ogenmhdo9/

Gina, to respond to your concern we have not made a requirement of the gifted label to allow for students that are potentially gifted or students not tested yet. Our families tend to be self-selective and understand the classes are geared toward highly gifted students. We have no problems telling a family their child is struggling in our classes.

Also, we are a very young company, but not new to gifted education. We plan on providing more information on our website as we grow. Thank you so much for your feedback. We are always listening. I welcome parents to share about their experiences with us on this forum and we look forward to speaking with you.

If you have any questions, feel free to email or call us. (858) 353 - 7370 or egifted8@gmail.com

J
    J
    Also, we are having a gifted girls club this May. Our first club meeting is this Saturday 9:00 am - 9:30 am PST, of course online in our digital classroom.

Here is the link to sign up: http://www.egifted.org/#!gifted-girls-club/c1x11

If you are interested you can email or call us. (858) 353 - 7370 or egifted8@gmail.com

-Jennifer

A
    agj Offline
    A
    My kids have taken a philosophy, poetry and habits of the mind class. They loved it. My son is going to do the extreme writing class for sure. We signed up for the classes in order to give the kids the opportunity to be involved with other like minded peers and engage in some deeper discussion than the surface level they get in school.

A
    agj Offline
    A
    Oh my daughter is 8 and son is 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs