Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    Adding there are lots of examples here of it being benign - but you have concerns and not just about this, which is why I suggest checking it out.

A
    A
    DD 6 does this and had always done this. Her use of words is curious to say the least, although always correct in terms of usage. Just not what and average child or adult for that manner might use, however I have been known to do the same thing and have learned to chose my words based on who I am talking to, although, I have been asked by a friend who is a teacher what a word meant before, apparently I still have an extensive vocabulary LOL. DD had to define lethargic to a teenager she was speaking with the other day. DD loves to play with words so I chalk it up to that.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    Originally Posted by AtSouthDam
    My younger daughter does this and has since she was two. It wasn't until we learned she has trouble pronouncing several sounds that we realized why; she simply chooses the word that is easiest for her to say even if it isn't the best. They still fit, they just seem odd coming from the mouth of six-year old with a speech impediment.

Interesting. I just assumed DS9's vocab was different simply because he reads so much. He's always had a unique way of saying things. But now that you mention it, perhaps he said he had to "adjust his eating habits" when he lost his tooth versus "change the way I chew my food" because the "ch" sound was one of the sounds he didn't have until after speech therapy.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Interesting. I just assumed DS9's vocab was different simply because he reads so much. He's always had a unique way of saying things. But now that you mention it, perhaps he said he had to "adjust his eating habits" when he lost his tooth versus "change the way I chew my food" because the "ch" sound was one of the sounds he didn't have until after speech therapy.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing she would do! And she can't read so I couldn't blame that. I always thought it was because my husband and I like to tease the girls by phrasing requests or question in the most obscure way possible. (Which doesn't even phase them anymore but I love the look on the friend's faces.)

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl

To further support this... my voracious reader is DD10, who speaks very typically (unlike my "odd choice of words/language disorder" DS8).

He's getting much better - although he still has moments where he'll either make an odd substitution or he'll describe or omit a word he can't access, like: "you know, those things that keep your hands warm" instead of gloves.

The above example is more relating to a vocab slip than anything else, but this thread makes me think that there are non-spectrum kids who are simply wired differently when it comes to social language.

Last edited by CCN; 04/29/13 03:49 PM.
    Last week during lunch, my son used a word that escapes me at the moment, but was one which was in common use in another era. He used it correctly in the sentence, but I told him he should use ____instead.

When he asked why, I told him that language changes over time and words are sometimes dropped from conversation and others are invented. I gave the term, "Googled" as an example of one that is relatively new and told him a story about when I was in middle school and used the word "beholden" when speaking to my grandma about owing someone something. My grandma laughed at me and said she hadn't heard that word in ages.

I explained that while the word was correctly used, it wasn't the best choice in that instance.

As an aside, I recently stumbled across a wonderful pocket spelling dictionary in a used book store; copyright 1960. I couldn't help purchasing it just to enjoy all the wonderful words and marvel at how many you never see or hear.

B
    B
    DS5 does this also and has done since 2. I have always assumed it was due to the high level books he has read/had read to him. He also hears a word and uses it appropriately and in context. New words have always been interesting to him - English or other languages. His passions at present seem to be language and science.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by CCN
    I'm kind of drawing a blank too, but "I've succeeded" instead of "I won" comes to mind. I know there are a few more though.

That reminds me of another one! She will often say "I defeated_____(insert name of friend here)" instead of "I beat____".

So I would say her vocabulary choices are very dramatic and not always the best choice of words.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    With just one WISC and a very high FSIQ, I'd wonder if your dd's VCI score is really an accurate reflection of her abilities, or if something wasn't clicking for her during the test that had nothing to do with what was being tested. Were her VCI subtest scores all similar or were there discrpancies?

Here are her VCI subtest scores:

Similarities 13
    Vocabulary 15
    Comprehension 14

I was actually very surprised when I learned that her VCI was only 124. I always just assumed she was much stronger verbally since she loves reading and writing. She certainly isn't a little dictionary but I didn't picture her PRI to be that high in comparison to her VCI. Granted she was one of those early puzzle kids and obsessively doing 100+ puzzles as a toddler.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    If you have other reasons for concern I'm going to pipe up and say get a pragmatic language assessment. My DD, who has Aspergers, has a similar verbal iq (pretty stable across 3 tests each 2 yrs apart). She just recently had a language assessment, the CELF4 had wild scatter from the 99.9th down to the 40, but nothing too low, average score "normal", but well lower than VCI. The tester then administered a purely social/pragmatic language test which he best score was BELOW the 40th, ranging down to the 1st, overall score 16th which I'm thinking is 3SDs from VCI.

She's 11, it's NEVER occurred to anyone she needed a speech therapist - until I finally read enough to think "hang on these 'social' and 'behaviour' problems we are having might be a pragmatic language issue (and literalness of course)".

So my DD with a VCI in the near gifted range, great diction, good vocab, etc, is about to start speech therapy...

Where can one find a tester for a pragmatic language assessment? Is this something only done through the school? She does struggle socially but again I can't decipher if it is her level of giftedness, her personality, or the possibility of being on the spectrum. Even my 9 yo has been worried about her little sister and how she doesn't have any friends.

She tends to just play by herself a lot at school, looks for bugs, digs in the dirt, plays on the monkey bars by herself, etc. She also sits by herself at lunch (according to her, not sure how accurate this is and thought about popping in one day for lunch). *IF* she plays with others I notice she has to be the boss and direct/delegate her playmates and the play.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM