Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Jai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Has anyone had a young child (4 or 5 year old) who took this test? I am considering it for my son. I spoke with someone at Vanderbilt Programs for Talented Youth about just trying to get a better understanding of DS so that I may make the most appropriated decisions in selecting a school for him to attend, and this is what she suggested.

I would love to hear others who have had experience with this test. Thank you.

K
    K
    DS took the KBIT and KTEA-II brief form right after he turned four. I believe both tests together lasted about an hour. We haven't done any further testing, but based on the Ruf estimates of giftedness, he scored about where I expected.

DS is a very social child, especially with adults, so he thought the whole experience was quite fun.

S
    S
    The K-Bit is the screener for the gifted program in our area. If you get a certain score then you are sent on for more in depth testing. My son didn't get the score in K (missed it by one) but in 1st he made the cut off. The guidance counselor said she saw this over and over again and that very visibly gifted kids would miss the cut off in K but not in 1st and they weren't any less gifted in K than they were in 1st. And that it was a shame they had to wait an entire year to re-screen them when it was the tests limitations and not the kid. She felt the score should have been one less for further testing in K.

The K-Bit was administered by the guidance counselor here and although it was an indication that further testing was needed, I wouldn't have made any educational decisions based on it at all.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    My younget took it at 6 as part of the screening for the gifted program. They adminster both the K-Bit and the TOMAGS and based on those results will determine if they do a full scale WISC. He is a very math-y kid, and very literal. (Frustratingly literal.) He would not have scored high enough to warrant further testing if they looked at just the K-Bit (his score was in 92%), but the 99.9% on the TOMAGS warranted the WISC, on which he scored 145. So for us, the k-bit was not at a good test for him, but I think it's more about the type of learner/person he is rather than his age.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations