Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #154511 04/25/13 02:44 PM
    M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi,
    I need some advice or what to do next in this situation. DS (age 5) is in K. His fine motor skills seem average. As far as we know (and I've asked the teacher), there are no fine motor deficits. However, it takes him a very long time to color, especially booklets or worksheets where the pictures are tiny. K seems to have a lot of worksheets that have a lot of coloring. He also prefers to color very neatly, and that seems to slow him down too (especially on the tiny pictures).

If he does not finish coloring/completing his work, he loses out on playtime. He is very frustrated (and sad, too) because he says he does his best, but is yet not able to finish coloring in time to get playtime.

His teacher thinks that it is to do with his executive function (planning ahead to color quickly, ability to transition from crayons to pencils (on one worksheet, instead of coloring, he just shaded with a pencil), and says he is ADD. He also apparently moves very slowly when he has to get his lunchbag, pack up etc, without a real sense of urgency of time. He knows how to read an analog clock to the second, so his teacher finds his behavior very tiresome.

His writing (and handwriting) is pretty good, and he does not seem to have issues writing so much as coloring. It is definitely not as slow as coloring.

His reading and math skills seem really good. Like, he can do 1256-137 (or addition or multiplication (though not double digits) in his head (given a couple of minutes) and tell you the answer. He can read pretty much anything (even paragraphs of gibberish or nonsense words -- I would say, his reading comprehension is about end of 2nd/beginning of 3rd grade (based on his story recall/retell)

What worries me is the coloring stamina/being the last to finish. He says he does not want to do "scribble scrabble" and takes his time to color. Yet, he cannot seem to relate/comprehend that if he speeds up coloring (at the expense of neatness), he will get some play time. I did suggest it to him, but, in the moment (of doing the worksheet), coloring correctly seems more important to him.

We will be evaluating him for ADD (based on his teacher's feedback), but I went back and looked at the worksheets for each day, and days he does not get playtime, there is a ton of coloring involved.

Is there such a thing as coloring stamina (for K) and perhaps, writing stamina for the older grades ?

22B Offline
    Tell the teacher to stop wasting your child's time with this ridiculous busywork.

Also, don't let anyone try to persuade you that your child has some kind of disorder just because your child is not conforming with someone's unreasonable expectations.

J
    J
    Surely the teacher would prefer careful, neat work, to rushed mess?! Sounds like you need to negotiate a deal with the teacher so that he can take unfinished work home, if it really needs to be finished, rather than lose out on play- a 5-year old shouldn't be punished for being careful and neat, and certainly shouldn't be losing their play time!

M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Surely the teacher would prefer careful, neat work, to rushed mess?! Sounds like you need to negotiate a deal with the teacher so that he can take unfinished work home, if it really needs to be finished, rather than lose out on play- a 5-year old shouldn't be punished for being careful and neat, and certainly shouldn't be losing their play time!

I also wanted to clarify -- the play time is inside their classroom with blocks & legos & such, that he is losing out on (not recess time). I have told the teacher to send the work home (and she has been doing that, though reluctantly), but she also says that he should learn to complete it in class, "within the time given and not make everything into a project" (her words). I've repeatedly asked her to try differentiating (my son seems very bored when he is asked to do worksheets like word families) -- but she says unless he can prove that he can do boring worksheets consistently, she will not give him engaging work. He has been assessed by the school district (through the WJ -III at the beginning of K) and his scores puts him easily at the end of 1st grade level.

He has been asked to work through playtime and work at home, if it is not complete. 4 other people in his class also seem to have similar issues (not completing work, losing out on playtime etc). That does mean though that the majority of the class (about 13 or 14 of them is able to get the work done, even if it is not done neatly)

He is much more engaged when reading a book or discussing a book or an idea or a math concept or just talking about bugs/whatever else the other person is interested in.

Tell the teacher to stop wasting your child's time with this ridiculous busywork.

Also, don't let anyone try to persuade you that your child has some kind of disorder just because your child is not conforming with someone's unreasonable expectations.

Yes, a lot of it is busywork. I am not sure how to tell her that without sounding disrespectful. I tried to bring it up once, but she said she has to complete the curriculum and that he has to learn to do the busy work. Sometimes, the teacher sends notes like "____ had a difficult time today and was not focused......". My son reads the entire note during pack up time (his reading speed is very good as well) and tells me on the way back home sadly. He also says he was focused, but is now thinking he is "slow". This breaks my heart, but I am trying to approach it more objectively.

Last edited by mom2one; 04/25/13 03:39 PM.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    What about just explaining that it isn't coloring to make a nice picture, it is just finger exercise coloring?

DS5 hates coloring. He tends to do a monochrome thing on those worksheets. Every bat, hat, cat and mat on the page will be brown. If the hat is on a man, he'll be brown too.

U
    U
    Uh, this does not sound like ADD! It's perfectionism! The time management issue is a bit more ADDish, perhaps, but in the absence of other symptoms, I wouldn't be concerned.

Ick. Some kids just plain HATE coloring.

Mine was one of them. I once had the brilliant idea to have my DD do those math-puzzle sheets with the hidden pictures that are revealed with correct color-coding? Yeah. Well, all that my 4-5yo DD got out of that was that (and she eventually told me so) she'd rather "do a million times with the flash cards, mama..." than do even ONE more color-it-in worksheet.

She begged me to just let her do all of the math on those sheets, and not have to do the coloring too.

His teacher thinks that it is to do with his executive function (planning ahead to color quickly, ability to transition from crayons to pencils (on one worksheet, instead of coloring, he just shaded with a pencil), and says he is ADD. He also apparently moves very slowly when he has to get his lunchbag, pack up etc, without a real sense of urgency of time. He knows how to read an analog clock to the second, so his teacher finds his behavior very tiresome.

Uhhhh... WOW. He. is. FIVE. Sounds like your teacher may be making the critical (and common/easy) error of assuming that your otherwise age-typical five year old SHOULD be his apparent cognitive age. He's not. He's five. MOST five year olds find it difficult to do things they dislike or find tedious/pointless. Sheesh.

They dawdle (because they don't really have an adult sense of URGENCY about much, lacking a natural sense of 'scheduling' and penalties for not meeting the 'schedule' appropriately), they meander, they explore, and they lack focus on boring tasks. Gee-- one wonders what she thinks the 'average' five year old child OUGHT to be like at that rate.

No advice. Just know that my DD has no particular fine motor problems whatsoever, and is certainly not deficient in EF (other than-- just like your child, being younger than her COGNITIVE age in that respect, and more like actual agemates, which can really throw adults who develop one set of expectations in talking with her, and find that she can't live up to them because she's actually 3-5yr YOUNGER than they are demanding).

She also hated (and still hates) coloring. Period. She likes to draw, she enjoys doing cartooning, captioning, and adores computer animation and complex art software, but she will not "color" a pre-existing picture-- with any media.

Seriously-- when pushed on this point at 4-7yo? She would have carefully selected the right colors (or, if feeling subversive, the red-green colorblind version... or maybe the complement shades... or some other snarky defiant thing) and drawn careful,LARGE X's on the items "to be colored."

OR-- if no color was specified, she'd have colored EVERYTHING one color, probably black. To indicate her displeasure.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    That's why we skipped K...
    DS5 also likes to colour neatly and not go over the lines. I showed him one day how he can do a quick border and shade the inside quickly then of worksheets and he is almost as fast now as the scribbling kids. He also does a lot more colouring in for fun at home now as it is not so laborious.
    Your poor little guy frown - DS would hate missing out on playtime too.

P
    P
    DS5 was once doing a worksheet at home that said something along the lines of, "Color in the figures that have 3 sides". He made one little stabbing sort of line of color in each of the 3 sided figures and was done in 10 seconds. I asked him shouldn't he color them in, and he replied that the instructions read to color inside the figures, ie to "color in". He hates coloring.

The anecdote isn't a help to your DSs situation as the instructions probably don't read that way -- but is to say that while there are 4 kids being admonished for coloring too much there could be just as many being admonished for coloring outside the lines, or not enough. Or perhaps that will be next year and your DS will be rewarded for accuracy. One can hope.

I would re-approach the teacher and ask to brainstorm together about solutions to this loss of playtime, as your child is feeling discouraged. Especially if he did have ADD then time management is something that needs to be explicitly taught. The intent of the playtime reward is to teach speediness. But he's had nearly a year to have that method work and, as wonderful a method as that is, it just hasn't worked for him. Instead he just feels down about himself. So now at this point it's clear he needs some other method. If it's loss of playtime due to slow worksheet completion that's the issue, try to stick to it only and not get into the differentiation issue or him being slow to put away his coat etc, on that same day.

As one possibility to start the list of possible solutions, perhaps the teacher could alot him (or you could provide) a 5 or 10 minute (silent) timer that he turns on when he starts a coloring worksheet. That would make it very official when he is to stop, perfectly colored or not, absolving him of some of the responsibility of knowing how perfect to get about it.

Hope you find something that works. Perhaps read a book on managing ADD for more ideas of what to suggest to the teacher, even if you don't feel he has it. She might be most receptive if proffered solutions are in line with her pet diagnosis.

That type of thought process is exactly why we had to move DS9 to a different school. They seemed perfectly happy at the idea of giving him harder work - AFTER HE'D FINISHED ALL THE OTHER WORK. It was crazy-making. What he needs is differentiated work - not ADDITIONAL work. The school year is nearly over, so it's probably not worth making a giant fuss with this teacher, but if that thought process continues next year you need to step in FAST and start making hay. Don't let them shrug you off and tell you about "later" they'll do this and "eventually" he'll move onto that. It's all BS in my experience.

~amy
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs