Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 159 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Haha, thanks momtofour (and everyone else) for your responses.
    @Cricket DD began talking around 9 months. She actually started signing around the same time and the signing took off faster than the words. We had to make a list for the daycare teacher because she didn't know what DD was trying to say.

Anywoo, I think at this point, we'll just wait it out and see what we think in a few years. If we still feel like this is a gifted child, then we will re-test. If not, we will just enjoy our high achiever but not gifted DD.

C
    C
    Starflower, I just want to be clear in case I am totally putting you off here ;-). I am not at all saying that your dd isn't gifted. She very well may be gifted. I think that I'm looking at it from the perspective of: the info you have isn't enough to know right now. Like I said, I am hugely not a fan of group tests and think that they are terribly misused in GT identification. I really wish that schools just wouldn't use them, but they are much cheaper and more efficient than the alternative and, I'm sure, no worse than using subjective measures like teacher ratings.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Cricket, no worries.

Worse case scenario is that DD is a high achiever but not gifted, and that's really not a terrible place to be. Her school's gifted program is only a once a week pull out program and the programs offered to gifted kids in middle and high school are Honors and AP classes (these classes are not limited to gifted kids though and high achievers could take them as well). She's young and it's not worth the money for a full IQ test right now. We may or may not retest again in second grade...but I do appreciate the responses!

I think you have a great perspective, Starflower.

We have learned to only seek information that we have a use for. Things seen/known cannot be un-known, if that makes sense.

It's also very true that having a very bright-- but not too bright-- child probably is the best place to be, as a parent. I'm sure that I'm not alone in sometimes wishing for just that! I'd hardly call that a worst-case scenario. From my perspective, that seems like a BEST case one!! wink

It's great that not being formally identified won't have long-term impact in high school in your district. That takes a lot of the pressure off of things in these early years. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM