Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #154356 04/24/13 09:57 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just to update you all - things are much better! Thank you all for your help... I couldn't have gotten through it without all of you on this board!

A combination of retaining a lawyer and involving the Assistant Superintendent seem to do the trick. I think I mentioned already in the previous thread that I really started getting somewhere when I cancelled the IEP meeting so that we could accommodate the schedule of our lawyer. School seemed keen to avoid bringing in lawyers if possible so I said I was willing to proceed without a lawyer only if the communication barrier were lifted in writing. The barrier was lifted in writing by the assist. superintendent.

In the meantime, found a woman who looks to be a fab educational law lawyer who has won more than one case within our district and is on the board of COPAA (http://www.copaa.org/) etc. I interviewed her and we chatted about the situation and what I need. She told me the whole communication barrier instituted by the principal was illegal. We agreed I need to keep someone like her on retainer to go to for advice and if something like the 'communication barrier' happens again she can jump right in to help put a stop to it. She already knew of the players and seemed to know the field, if you will, and even told me to watch out for Special Ed Dir (apparently she can turn very nasty). I like this attorney a lot.

So, in response to the communication barrier lifted I sent around the following email:

Thank you so much, Assist. Superintendent. DH and I deeply appreciate your concern and involvement. I am carbon copying both Ms. Spec. Ed Support Teacher and Ms. Regular Ed Teacher so that they are aware that they may feel free to communicate with DH and me via email and to respond to our email communications regarding DS and his day to day progress, issues, concerns, homework, etc.

Please be advised also that we have retained an attorney with whom we can consult regularly and who can assist with future issues such as this one. Her name is Ms. _____, you may be familiar with her work. Pursuant to our phone discussions with Ms. Special ED Dir. over the weekend, DH and I do feel comfortable at this point moving ahead with our IEP meeting on Tuesday at 8:00 am without our attorney present now that there is clear confirmation in writing that the communication barrier between us, the parents, and our son's teachers mandated by Mr. Principal has been lifted. However, Ms. Attorney agrees that such a communication barrier was indeed illegal in the first place. Please be advised also that Ms. Attorney will be reviewing the agreement for vision therapy services so we will not be able to sign the vision therapy agreement at tomorrow's meeting.

DH and I look forward to see everyone on tomorrow at 8:00 am. Thank you so very much.

Well, let me tell you the meeting went very well. I feel so much better. Not one person accused me of enabling my DS's disability, not one person even remotely made a case that DS doesn't need accommodations, not one person said anything along those lines at all or anything offensive. Everyone was nice and the Agreement for the Vision Therapy looks like a totally different agreement - much better! I still need Attorney to look at it though smile I feel a huge weight lifted.

So, I do believe things will be good for a number of months now ... I think we are in good shape for next year. At the meeting we even talked about getting DS involved in using some Assistive Technology next year like an IPad... He is becoming familiar with the keyboard at home now doing computer games, etc. I am also hoping this new intensive therapy I have him doing for the next 6 months will also yield some significant improvements so that next year will be even better.

Thank you all!

Last edited by Irena; 04/24/13 10:00 AM.
    HURRAY!!!!

WOW. Way to go, MOM! laugh

I'm so happy to hear this, Irena.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Wonderful! At last, you're receiving the service that has always been your son's due. I love that you exhausted all channels of communication before bringing in the lawyer, too. It shows that you're reasonable.

FWIW, I sincerely hope there will be some disciplinary action taken internally against the principal, but I know that's completely secondary to your goals. Individuals like him are costly to children's educational and emotional well-being and expose schools to needless lawsuits.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    P
    YAY Irena!!! I'm so glad that you finally have made progress past the principal!!!

Congratulations - I hope things continue to go smoothly for you and your ds!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 04/24/13 10:58 AM.
    D
    D
    "You may be familiar with her work." Heh.

Well done, Irena.

DeeDee

K
    K
    Fabulous news!!! You did an incredible job fighting for your child. Brava!

P
    P
    Oooh good job! Wanna go after our principal next? That could be fun. You could be like a hired assassin for all of us on the board smile

My step-mom is a principal, and has been an administrator for over a decade now, and let me tell you - unless this principal already has a list of infractions on his record a mile long, he's not going to be seriously disciplined in any fashion whatsoever. The absolute most that would likely happen to him is for him to be transferred to a different school. It's a bit sad, but short of sexual abuse, administrators in public schools just do not get fired.

~amy
    P
    P
    Yeah I can see that epoh. The outrageous behavior of our principal doesn't seem to result in any consequences. Well, not for her anyway. The district could be looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars for out of district placement for my DD alone because of the hostile educational environment she creates. Today at pick up I was surrounded by parents who are all trying to sell their houses to get out of the district. As long as someone pays the school taxes for those residences, though, it doesn't matter to the district who lives there. Lots of anguish for lots of families but the principal just keeps going... So sad.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Pemberley, I think your principal sounds worse than mine... (hope I didn't speak too soon!) And it wasn't me really - it was all of the good advice here and from my advocate AND probably the reputation of the lawyer I retained!

I don't think my principal will get in any trouble at all. The Special Ed Director refused to do anything either until the assist. superintendent made her. That he didn't get away with pushing me around and that he knows in the future he will not push me around or bully me will have to be enough. Since he seems to be such a power/control freak and since I clearly get under his skin... the fact that I was able to stop him and get 'my way' is some punishment, I guess.

Principal was at meeting but the Special Ed Director acted as LEA and he took a back seat. I could tell clearly that they had prepped for the meeting pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM