Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    My DS5 (he'll be 6 in June) has been having behavior issues since 3 years old in daycare/school settings. In October 2012 we had our son tested by a Child Psychologist using the McCarthy Scale. DH and I fully expected to hear a ADHD or even possibly ODD type results.

However, our Psychologist explained that our DS was gifted. At 5.5 years old he was scoring Verbally and Cognitively at 8.5 years old. He did remind us that the McCarthy Scale is not an IQ test but armed with this information if he had to give an IQ estimate he said it would be about 140, possibly more. DS's Gross Motor skills are on target at 5.5 years old (at that time). He does not require more than 2-3 repetitions to learn something. Making the typical learning environment at school agonizingly boring. The Psychologist agreed that he can see why outwardly he seems like he has ADHD. But he doesn't. The Psychologist actually said, he truly is bored in class.

We then moved on to a non-profit in our area for now until we can find a Psychologist that specializes with gifted children that is covered by insurance (nearly impossible we are now finding). In January 2013 after many discussion with the school Principal and months of terrible behavior, it was decided to have DS moved to a new Kinder class with a more 'seasoned' teacher with a quieter room. He was not getting along with his first Kinder teacher and the way she structured her room. I was skeptical at first. But, his behavior changed OVERNIGHT and has been WONDERFUL. He obviously has his days when he seems extra scattered and agitated, and we can't seem to pinpoint what causes this. But the change was very very necessary. Though he is having issues socially and especially on the playground. His excitement gets away from him and he ends up hurting someone physically or verbally.

So we are now weeks away from the end of Kindergarten. DH and I want to sit down with the principal to discuss DS's school year and discuss what our goals for him are in 1st Grade. How do I go about making requests for testing? I could not for the life of me get anyone there to commit to having the District Psychologist test him. I know they question our private test results and they aren't obligated to do anything with them (which they haven't). But now that we know what kind of environment he thrives in and the type of structure that is best for him. What do I do? I feel stuck and I'm not sure which way to go.

Please feel free to ask me any additional questions.

B
    B
    Given the principal moved him towards the end of the year for a reason, I would expect he/she would be happy to discuss teacher placement for next year. Once behavior became a problem for my son, I found hsi school worked with me to try and find the best teacher fit.

One reason they may not want to test him is because of policy. My school district WILL NOT do any testing for giftedness until 3rd grade for 4th grade placement. (Or 2nd for LD's.) Except for differentiation that an individual teacher does the district does nothing until the state mandated (CA) 4th grade, even if you bring in documentation. Doesn't mean you shouldn't talk with your principal and see what can be done to find a teacher that will work best.

Good Luck.

M
    M
    Not OP, but appreciated your suggestions MON! I've been thinking through what's the best way to offer input without overstepping. Thanks!

OP Offline
    Thank you very much. You both gave me great tips and suggestions.

MON, I myself wasn't even sure what I SHOULD be advocating for. A teacher that fits well or academic advancement. So put that the teacher fit was goal #1 and academics goal #2. But both are important to us.

I failed to mention that we are in CA so all of this information is helpful and very relevant. Our principal said that they do random testing in 2nd grade for and mandatory testing in 3rd grade.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years