Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I submitted DD's application and her WISC and WIAT reports. Her letter of rec has already been sent. Now just to wait. I am trying not to get nervous as she qualifies on the WISC with her PRI-153, VCI- 148, and GAI- 160 and on the WIAT with total math-157, and Total Composite- 150 and her letter was really strong I think. I had our healthcare provider who is also one of my good friends write it, and she told me last night when we were having girls night, some of what she wrote. So now I just wait till the end of May I guess. So if all the scores are well above qualifying, then does Davidson typically accept? Just calm my nerves LOL

Who else is applying for May?

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    G
    G
    We applied in April. My daughter's WISC scores were pretty comfortably over the minimum, and so were her EXPLORE scores. I didn't have the latter until
    the very last minute since she tested in February, so I also included a portfolio since I wasn't sure I would have the EXPLORE scores in time. I am not expecting to hear until next week at the earliest.

Good luck!

K
    K
    Good luck to both of your DC!

Originally Posted by amazedmom
    So if all the scores are well above qualifying, then does Davidson typically accept? Just calm my nerves LOL

With those scores I can't see why she wouldn't be accepted.

S
    S
    I think if the scores are over the threshold, your child will be accepted.

I just want to caution on expectations once accepted. You're still the one who has to figure out your child's schooling and social/emotional situations. The DYS counselors have insight and present options, but don't really give advice. It's still up to you.

E
    E
    What if only one score is over the threshold? My son is under in all but one category, but that's all the requirements say you need. Does that mean his portfolio is of more importance?
    I wasn't really worried too much about him getting accepted until I read this...or maybe you guys are just really nervous people??

Anyways, I hope he gets in. My son could really use the resources. And I also hope all your kids get in as well.
    I don't know about you guys, but I could really use the assistance and advice.

E
    E
    Ephelidasa, my DD9 had only one achievement score over 145 (Broad Math), and she got in.

E
    E
    That's good to hear. Thanks!
    If you don't mind telling, what did you use in the portfolio (if you provided one)?
    I'm having trouble deciding what to use (I don't have much to draw from).

E
    E
    We didn't use a portfolio, as we had qualifying IQ and achievement scores. The process was super-easy with those.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Ephelidasa- I am totally just a really nervous person. I drive my dh nuts with it. I am that way on everything and have been since I was kid LOL. I hear you on totally could use the assistance and advice. We are homeschooling and will definitely stay that way while we are on this island as I will now not touch our school with a ten foot pole. But I could use someone to talk to, bounce ideas off of, etc. Good luck to all our kiddos.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations