Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by jaylivg
    Polarbear ,

You see , the chart that i get from school , it mentions :
    - power up 8.30-9.25
    - specials 9.25-10.15
    - language arts 10.15-12.20
    -recess 12.20-12.50
    -lunch 12.50-1.25
    -math 1.25-3.00
    -scie/ss 3.00-3.30

So , during those time whether it's an hour or more , it seems like every subject lasts more than an hour anyway , teacher gives instruction , explaining , teaching new things , then the children are given the assignments to work on what they just learned , am i right ? Now between the time the children started working on the assignments until the class ends and moving to another subject , according to DS , he has to wait that long between 30-45 minutes . Him and another girl always finish first , and the girl always reads reads and reads . Teacher has no problem at all with her , but not with our DS . DS brought books too but unfortunately he calls himself 'not street smart ' because obviously he still talks and causing problems , all the while still reading or writing or drawing or creating something .

I guess it's probably not a good fit between him and teacher .

They are in class from 8.30 to 3.30 with only one hour long break? It is a wonder they don't go insane let alone talk.

J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Howlerkarma ,

i agree with you , i totally understand that if DS talks too much while the teacher is testing few students to read to her , yes it is disrupting , and i can see why he gets in trouble for that . I am not blaming teacher 100% on this because DS needs to learn to control his needs to talk too .

We did ask DS why doesn't his friend who finishes first like he does manage to stay away from trouble ? He said all she does just grab her book out and started reading . DS has this urge when he needs to tell something to someone , he'd like to say it as soon as possible , or else he's afraid he might forget . I suggested to him , bring a note and write it down . I've tried everything from books , journals , drawing comics . Occasionally just reading works , sometimes busy with drawing comics work . It's really on and off ..

We tried talking with teacher too , that maybe doing this might work or doing that might work , i even suggested to his teacher that if she needs help such as cleaning the board or the desk or whatever , she can make DS do that so that he can be busy doing something other than not doing anything . Once in a while she made him organizing the book shelf , or cutting bear bucks for her . Or giving DS more problems to solve , anything just give him something to occupy his time and stimulate his brain .But as far as helping other students , i doubt she'd let him . During car line rider , DS helped his friend with math problem , not giving the answer but helped him with addition and regrouping , and the teacher said don't help your friend .

DS really likes to get into an argument too , we had a big talk last night about this , he did admit , he likes talking with adults , but we told him adults don't like talking with you if you argue with them . He thinks by arguing , he can eventually change their mind , so that he gets his way , he admitted this yesterday . We told him , save that skill for later on , maybe you can be a lawyer LOL ..

J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Puffin ,

yeap , 8.30 til 3.30 is a long day !

I remember back when i was in school i had 2 times recess , but for only 15 minutes , school was from 7.00 am til 1 pm , monday through saturday ( this was from 3rd grade til high school , the younger ones only goes til 11 am or 12.15 pm ) , but we always had 15 minutes recess at 9.15 til 9.30 and then second one was at 11.15 til 11.30 . You can bring snack and eat your snack too during that recess , nobody told us we had to finish snack first etc .. no teacher supervised us .

Originally Posted by jaylivg
    We tried talking with teacher too , that maybe doing this might work or doing that might work , i even suggested to his teacher that if she needs help such as cleaning the board or the desk or whatever , she can make DS do that so that he can be busy doing something other than not doing anything .

I had to chuckle at this...we offered many suggestions too. We suggested DD could organize the books in the room by reading level or alphabetical order. We suggested all sorts of organizational things she could do that would be helpful to the teacher like pulling the staples out of the bulletin boards and sorting supplies, etc. We even said that DD would enjoy walking around the room to pick up all the staples on the floor just so she could organize them into whatever categories she could think up (bent, straight, closed, broken). We seriously thought this idea could really go places because she could make charts, graphs, work with fractions, etc. just by picking up staples. Obviously we were grasping at ideas by that point, but we weren't asking for anything really "out there" just for someone to be a little creative in keeping her occupied when her work was done and therefore helping her stay out of trouble.

Q
    Q
    This is absolutely not normal. You need to find a new school. While it is not unsual for a very bright kid to complete his work in one-quarter to one-half of the alotted time, I am flabbergasted that the class would be expected to be working independently on assigments for 45-65 minutes at a stretch three times in one day. That's potentailly 3 hours and 15 minutes in a day when the teacher is not actively teaching and the students are not working together or in groups. That's crazy!

The fact that your DS has previously been to a normal school makes this school all the harder to tolerate.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM