Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 365 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Hi Everyone,

Almost every book or web page on gifted kids mentions telescoping -- compressing 2+ years of a subject into a shorter time span. Really, I think that is what my DS7 needs -- grade 5 and 6 math in one year.

Is this one of those things that sounds great, but is unworkable in practice? I've read about a classes that offer an accelerated curriculum but not telescoping as an accommodation for individual students. I'd love to read some "how-to's" or first hand descriptions of successful telescoping.

Has anyone had any experiences with telescoping? I'm particularly interested in the elementary math telescoping that doesn't involve computer-based curricula.

Ul.H.

S
    S
    Well you could get the 5th and 6th grade books and go through the 5th grade book and for every topic in the 5th grade book...say it is adding fractions do both the 5th and 6th grade work, or if it is the topic of probability do both 5th and 6th grade work. Don't do every practice problem presented by the books.

If your child can do 3 problems of every type discussed in that lesson...move on.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    W
    W
    Hi Ultralight Hiker

This has been DS8 path so far, and required some advocacy on our part, but the school has seen his math abilities to be beyond the norm and has accomodated us fairly well.

K- started off with 1st grade math, then about 6 weeks into the school year his teacher gave him the second grade math book

He skipped 1st grade altogher.

2nd- His teacher gave him the 3rd grade book, but wasn't paced well. He only completed 2/3 of the book. He had a 4th grade Singapore math book at home which he sometimes worked out of.
    At the end of 2nd grade he tested out of 3rd and 4th grade math.

3rd- He goes to the gifted 5th grade class for math. This is better, but is still not enough. At home he took Art of Problem Solving PreAlgebra 1 in the fall and is taking PreAlgebra 2 now. The pace and level is a much better fit.

Next year in 4th he will continue with AOPS Algebra 1 and Counting amd Probability and be able to do his work in his classroom. He will no longer do any "school math".

It has been interesting to say the least, but this year is finally working out well. We hope next year will be even better without having school math and the extra homework. The school was not really able to do more than one grade level a year which is why in a way I decided to "take over" his math instruction and go with AOPS.

Good Luck and remember you know your child the best.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Ultralight Hiker
    Really, I think that is what my DS7 needs -- grade 5 and 6 math in one year.

If it's 5th and 6th grade math you're specifically wanting to combine into one year, those two years are often combined routinely for kids coming out of elementary math who will be moving into the honors math track in middle school (or at least that's the way it works in our school district).

Our ds has telescoped in math and science, but he's done it via online courses.

Good luck!

polarbear

A
    A
    I was looking at the curriculum my mom school uses and I think math is one of those subjects that can be easily telescoped, although I don't know how it works for an individual student at school. How I have done it homeschooling is take a look at the subjects covered in both grades (many were the same, introduced the topic in the lower grade book and expounded on the teaching from the higher grade book. I also made sure to include those that were not covered in both and make sure i did it in an order that made the most sense. Good luck. I personally think telescoping is great and allows a student to not have as many gaps.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    E
    E
    I can tell you what I did, back 30+ years ago when computer curricula were not an option. I took prealgebra in 7th grade, and algebra in 8th (normal honors track at my school). Then I went to CTY the summer between 8th and 9th grade and took algebra II/trig and analytical geometry, plus tested out of regular geometry, so I was ready for calculus when I came back for 9th grade. That took some fancy footwork to talk the school into, but they did let me take calculus AB (while requiring me to do all of the end-of-chapter tests for the skipped classes - I knocked most of it out during the six weeks after the AP exam). I had to take calculus AB and calculus BC in two consecutive years, which I thought was totally ridiculous, but I then was able to take math courses at the local college during my junior and senior years of high school.

I don't really recommend this track if you can find a better way, though.

22B Offline
    Our son is in a virtual school using the k12.com curriculum. He did grade K, 1, 2 math while in grade K, and is doing grade 3, 4, 5 math while in grade 1. Telescoping (acceleration with no gaps) is easy in this format, which is one reason why we went with this type of school.

C
    C
    We've done this with and without computer-based curriculum (ALEKS). The year DS turned 7 he was just becoming ready to do his own maths in class without input from the teacher, which made everything much easier. We just gave him a textbook that had plenty of exercises and a clear style (I did pick that with care). Talked about what he'd done, and planned what he'd do next, at home/on the bus, and sent regular emails to his teacher so that she was in the loop, but she left it to us. The telescoping just happened naturally because we weren't taking notice of any schedule. We were trying to spend as much time as possible on problem-solving, too, which I recommend, but felt he needed to get some new material too; ended up being nominally two years' worth.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I didn't know that this was called telescoping but I agree that Maths is one of the easiest subject areas to do this with - the material is very well defined for each grade level. My DD8 has been using the Singapore Math + First in Math and we are about to review the 4th and 5th grade stuff via the 'Challenging Word Problems' published now by Marshall Cavendish.

We don't 'hothouse' per se - we just give her the books to work through in her own time and she taken this in her stride outside of regular school. I was concerned that perhaps she was going too fast to truly internalize some of the concepts (she was nailing the exercises in the books but even so...) I am expecting the challenging word problems to test that.

My $0.02 is that you should try it - I don't see that it will do any harm.

Become what you are
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Ultralight Hiker
    Almost every book or web page on gifted kids mentions telescoping -- compressing 2+ years of a subject into a shorter time span. Really, I think that is what my DS7 needs -- grade 5 and 6 math in one year.

Our district actually offers a track that telescopes three years into two for a few years of their math sequence. It's very good.

The problem we have found is that if you're trying to telescope within the context of a regular classroom, with no extra teacher available, it may start well but end as nothing. There was a year where DS got practically no math because the intent was to differentiate, but they had no staff-- they just handed him a workbook, and that wasn't going to do it. Even well-intentioned teachers often have trouble sustaining this kind of program.

If you're doing it as HSing or afterschooling, it should not be hard to manage.
    DeeDee

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs