Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I have a history of depression. I don't know if it's connected with giftedness but both run in my family.

I had trouble as a teen, after we moved and I had to leave my beloved GT school and spend two years in a public high school. I was lonely, bullied and depressed. Eventually, I suffered some kind of mental breakdown which included phobias, panic, insomnia and hallucinations. I kept it to myself as much as I could. I never had treatment for it. I tried going to counseling in college but I was never able to build any rapport with the counselor. During college it faded to a tolerable level. I currently feel saner than I ever did when I was younger smile Having a supportive, understanding DH helps in a big way!

K
    K
    Interesting article Texas Summer. I feel this definitely would describe my own elementary school experience and behavior.

S
    S
    My first thoughts on reading this were Columbine, Univ of Texas, Virginia Tech, Unabomber, and there was another high school whose name I can't remember.

These were all highly intelligent kids who felt left out socially and suffered from depression. Admittedly, you only here about the extreme cases, but how many other kids feel that way and don't act out?

I went through extreme, deep, clinical depression as an adult. Ended up checking myself into a psychiatric hospital at age 27. Most of my depression stemmed from masking my feelings as a kid. Most of that was probably family, but I do know that, being smart (we didn't have the term gifted then), I caught a lot of ridicule and shaming even from adults. And, I was always a social outcast at school, neither living up to my older sister's reputation nor being a "problem - drugs, sex, alchohol" like my other older sister.

My point is that I wouldn't reject the statement out of hand. I think it has more bearing than we are inclined to give it. After all, our kids are gifted and that could never happen to them, right? I don't think it is anything to panic over, just something to keep in mind when making decisions. And, I remember from my best therapist "Depression is anger turned inward". So, I see my son angry and think hard about it.

Disclaimer: I have not yet read the article posted by Texas Summer.

Were they all highly intelligent? I know the Unabomber was, but I don't know about the others.

I know the guy from the VA Tech shootings had been diagnosed with a mental illness well before the shootings, and at least one of his teachers had feared that he would self-destruct because of the way he behaved in class. She did not say anything about being impressed with his ability or intelligence. She just got him removed from her class for being inappropriate with the other students. I read nothing about his being GT.

I don't know enough about the kids in the other two cases you mentioned to even comment. Were they GT?

I don't mean to nitpick. I just want to be sure we're not perpetuating the stereotype of the "crazy genius" if these cases don't stand up to that.

Kriston
    Taking those drugs sure didn't make me feel like my neural connections were increasing...I just felt kind of...flat.

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/05/08 12:12 PM.
    Originally Posted by squirt
    I went through extreme, deep, clinical depression as an adult.

frown I also suffered from PPD after DD was born. I don't know about you, but depressive episodes are so frightening that I worry I'll have another. Once it has happened to you, you realize how narrow the path of sanity is...

Well, just as their are psychologists who specialize in helping gifted children, there are also those that work with gifted adults.
    I'm sorry this sounds so vulgar, but I can't see how a non-gifted therapist is going to help a gifted/very gifted adult.

I'm probably going to get smacked for saying that, but, oh well.

Neato

Originally Posted by incogneato
    I can't see how a non-gifted therapist is going to help a gifted/very gifted adult.

I won't be the one smacking you...

Originally Posted by 'Neato

And I might smack you, but not for that. grin

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by questions
    Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about so I did a quick article search on this site, and found this one among others: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10338.aspx

I have found the article library on this site to be a wonderful resource.

You are right, this site has a wonderful article library. I hadn't seen the article you linked, but I think that's just what I was looking for. Thanks! Thanks to all the others with info, too.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM