Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    G
    G
    Thanks, KADmom. Gifted denial at last losing its hold on me. wink

N
    N
    For the question about the pyramid - I'm pretty sure that the pyramid is included with the C-MITES materials (or at least it was 9 years ago). My current 3rd grader took EXPLORE through NUMATS and while they provided recommendations in their Toolbox, it was not the pyramid.

The recommendations are kind of general and you really need to consider your kid. I think the Duke recommendations based on 7th grade SAT scores would have middle kid grade skipping and entering college early, but that just isn't right for her. While she could probably handle the academics, it would not be good socially or for sports.

OP Offline
    gabalyn,
    The Pyramid of Educational Options for Elementary Talent Search Participants is in Susan Assouline and Ann Lupkowski-Shoplik's book--Developing Math Talent. It's on page 153 in my edition. If you don't have the book, you can find it on Google books by typing Developing Math Talent acceleration pyramid into Google. It's on page 161 in that edition.

G
    G
    Thank you so much!

L
    L
    My D9S 3rd grader took the Explore Test in January via NUMATS.

English 22
    Reading 22
    Math 14
    Science 17
    Composite 19

I am glad he took this test to get a better idea on how math is going for him. The math curriculum had been changed at his school 2 years ago to Singapore math and I have just felt he was not advancing in it very fast. Our school advances in Reading classes but does not in math for lower grade levels, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I definitely feel this may be the reasoning for the math score. He has started on EPGY's online math program this month at home to get more exposure. It seems to be moving faster and he is getting more out of it. I hope to see improvement by next year with it. I just don't want him falling behind on math.
    Everyone on here has great scores. I think this is a wonderful forum for parents. It is sad to see that 20 years ago the school system in my county had a weekly pull out program for Gifted and Talented for kids to spend one day a week at the High School for Project Grow, now there are limited resources in our school systems. Thank goodness for the internet and resources for parents to have for the kids to utilize now.

R
    R
    Congratulations on such great scores !

DS who is in 4th Grade tested thru Duke TIP.
    His scores :
    English 15
    Mathematics 16
    Reading 18
    Science 20
    It was his first time taking this test. He struggles with relatively low PS and WM so these look like very good scores for him. Unfortunately as we expected he wasn't able to finish the Math section - didn't even have time to guess all the answers. It is his strong subject and We were hoping to get him subject accelerated in math since he complains that it is too easy for him at school.
    Any tips on how to improve his English and Reading scores?

F
    F
    rachsr,
    those are terrific scores. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to ask for acceleration with them!

DYS qualifying scores..

EXPLORE
    Grade 3 Grade 4 Grade 5 Grade 6
    English 16 19 22 23
    Math 14 16 18 21
    Reading 16 18 21 23
    Science 16 18 20 22
    Composite 15 17 20 22
    The composite score plus two subject test scores must meet the minimum score criteria

X
    X
    I can see why the school doesn't provide any acceleration. It is not that the child is not good enough. Most time it is just that the school has no idea about talent search or doesn't believe in talent search. Even in the gifted school I don't think that they necessarily value much about the talent search result. The teachers tend to believe their classroom performance way more than what challenging tasks you child can do outside of the school. It is very sad but it is true based on what we have experienced.

X
    X
    Although CTD claims that majorite schools accept talent search results. But from what I have seen, there is no recognition or what so ever when the schools accept the talent search scores. They just pass the certificate quietly to the students and that is all in most cases. Nothing concrete happens afterwards.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    rachsr,
    DYS qualifying scores..

EXPLORE
    Grade 3 Grade 4 Grade 5 Grade 6
    English 16 19 22 23
    Math 14 16 18 21
    Reading 16 18 21 23
    Science 16 18 20 22
    Composite 15 17 20 22
    The composite score plus two subject test scores must meet the minimum score criteria
    Thanks frannieandejsmom I hadn't looked at the DYS cut off.
    We haven't spoken to the school yet after we got the EXPLORE results but as it has been discussed plenty of times here schools have a different perspective than us. As PP said some schools don't really know what to make of these scores. They tend to rely on class grades which unfortunately for DS is partly based on class participation. He tends to zone out when the teacher is going over something he already knows which is quite often. Still managed a 95 last quarter though.so maybe its worth talking to them again.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM