Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    OP Offline
    I belong to a 'grandparents raising grandchildren' forum. I commented in that forum about the success GS8 is having in school. Here is part of a reply from another poster:
    ...be aware that there is a statistically higher percentage of depression and suicidal behavior noted among the exceptionally bright, oftentimes found even in the pre-teens, as a result of the disparity between intellect and maturity levels and unmanageable social pressure.

Has anyone seen any statistics of depression broken down by mental ability?

I don't have any statistics, but you can try googling existential depression. I know that's common.
    What the person fails to suggest is that exceptionally bright people often have exceptional coping and compensating skills.
    While any form of depression of emotional turmoil should not be ignored or taken lightly, I wouldn't become overly worried about this unless you see it happening.

OP Offline
    No, I'm not worried. I'm mildly annoyed at negative conceptions people have about GT kids. I'd like to find some good data that supports or negates the statement the other poster made, just for my own knowlege.

I'm more worried about bipolar depression since there is a genetic link for that, and there are relatives on both sides with that; but that's another thread!

Q
    Q
    I'd suggest searching in the articles on the Davidson Gifted Database. I believe I have seen an article or two supporting that statement. Maybe not a statistical statement, but a statement saying there is a risk.

My biggest problem is with the phrase "unmanageable social pressure." Huh?

I think being underchallenged can lead kids to feel out of place, even stupid and worthless because they are clearly missing something if the teacher, whom they respect, doesn't see the problem and parents don't help. I think perfectionism can lead to depression when a kid finally hits something that is actually hard.

But social pressure? I don't really buy it that social pressure is worse for GT kids than it is for any other kids. I think a lot of GT kids have a pretty healthy sense of self. They may not like the way they get treated by agemates, but I haven't heard much about GT kids suffering this sort of depression from it. Some, I'm sure, but no more than any other kid.

Hmmm...

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    No, you're right. I ignored the cause - just focused on the risk part of the statement. I haven't seen anything about social pressure.

It seems to play into the crummy old myth that GT kids are anti-social and unpopular. Frankly, of the very few GT people I know who seem anti-social and/or unpopular, they're usually just introverts who have chosen to limit their social contacts, and they're pretty happy that way. No depression over it.

Being with agemates instead of true peers can be pretty hard on a kid, I suppose, but nothing that can't be remedied with the right sorts of contact with true peers. It certainly not the main cause of depression among GT kids, I wouldn't think.

Of course, this is all out of my own addled brain. I may have no idea what I'm talking about...

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about so I did a quick article search on this site, and found this one among others: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10338.aspx

I have found the article library on this site to be a wonderful resource.

That is an interesting and powerful article. These quotes caught my attention.

"Clinical records, among the data serving as the foundation for this paper, confirmed that some highly gifted children--especially those in undifferentiated school programs with no access to like-minded peers and appropriate learning experiences--may exhibit signs of depressive disorder as early as age 7."

"Children often... do not wear it [depression] on their sleeves as adults do. Children tend to be depressed in an extremely quiet way. They often creep into their rooms or other secluded places and cry while appearing cheerful in public settings. Usually they don't look as sad, tearful, or as slowed down as depressed adults. By the time a child exhibits signs of depression for all to see, he or she is usually severely depressed."

I found the masking to be quite a disturbing trait as well.

I know I did it in high school. I suffered some perfectionist-related depression when I hit my first-ever hard class, but no one had any idea about how I was feeling.

I came out okay, but I know many kids don't.

And 7yo is so early to suffer depression! Yet another answer to offer when asked, "Why can't they just wait until 3rd grade when the one-hour-a-week pullout for GT kids begins?"

Kriston
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs