Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 88 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #151984 03/26/13 08:57 PM
    J
    Jeff Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I saw some people already got accepted for their March application. I have not heard from them yet, though my application was really late(after business hour on 3/1/13). I was told it would still go to March review. Do they handle application based on the time they received complete materials? any experience? My DS8 wants to get into their summer program.

X
    X
    Have you set up your email account correctly as suggested in Davidson email? I found out the acceptance email in my junk mail several days after they emailed us. It turned out the email went to the junk mail of me and my DH's accounts. If you don't hear from them by April 1, you can email them to ask for status.

X
    X
    Good luck!

J
    Jeff Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you for your kind reply, Xiangbaobao. Are you in bay area? We got email from them at the beginning of this month. I guess the email account is fine. I guess we will have to wait for a few more days. We did not take the IQ test for a few reasons, his achievement score is very good, his teacher said that should be enough to convince any educators. We submitted a portfolio that is quite a few grades ahead. Any one has heard DYS acceptance without IQ score? Maybe we should do the IQ?

J
    Jeff Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Just got reply from Davidson. They want IQ score. I am wondering which IQ test is a better gauge of his true ability. His primary language is not English. He is 8 and in 2nd grade. So if a test involves too much western social knowledge, that might adversely affect him. He is really good at understanding difficult concepts, but not particularly good at following steps. Has a broad interest, no observed social issues. He is good at math. Got 660 in SAT math, but I don't see him a future mathematician. He is more interested in music(want to be a composer) or geography, history(want to be a professor in a good college) than in math. Can anyone suggest a suitable IQ test? and where to take these tests?

Q
    qxp Offline
    Q
    I think it is very rare to get in without IQ scores at young ages.

More than which IQ test, I would look for someone who has experience with highly gifted and english as a second language kids. That person should be able to give you a good estimate of his ability with the best test for him.

P
    P
    Jeff,

Congratulation on your DS8 scoring 660 on SAT Math!

That was very impressive.

J
    Jeff Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you. He hoped to get 700 on that, to become the 1st on record to get 700+ before 8 after he read about Dr. Terrence Tao on wikipedia, We knew that was hard if not impossible. that was why we signed up for two exams. We are not interested in setting up any kind of record, but hey, kid wanted to do it and it was not a bad thing, parents have to be cheerleaders, right?

He might have a shoot at 700 on his December test had he had a good breakfast. He stayed up late after preparing for piano recital in the studio and a big meal at 9 in Denny's. He skipped the breakfast and that might affected him during the late sessions. 4 hours really is too much for a 7 year old.

We wanted DYS to help us work with local school district. The school was not very accommodating. We are totally unfamiliar with US school system and he is our only son. We have to rely heavily on google for any useful information.

Originally Posted by Jeff
    Just got reply from Davidson. They want IQ score. I am wondering which IQ test is a better gauge of his true ability. His primary language is not English. He is 8 and in 2nd grade. So if a test involves too much western social knowledge, that might adversely affect him. He is really good at understanding difficult concepts, but not particularly good at following steps. Has a broad interest, no observed social issues. He is good at math. Got 660 in SAT math, but I don't see him a future mathematician. He is more interested in music(want to be a composer) or geography, history(want to be a professor in a good college) than in math. Can anyone suggest a suitable IQ test? and where to take these tests?

Here's a good candidate: http://www.pearsonassessments.com/h...unity/Education/Products/NNAT2/nnat2.htm

Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (second edition)—NNAT2 uses progressive matrices to allow for a culturally neutral evaluation of students’ nonverbal reasoning and general problem-solving ability, regardless of the individual student’s primary language, education, culture or socioeconomic background.

P
    P
    DYS does not accept NNAT.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

I think WISC IV, SB V or WJ III is popular in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM