Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #151478 03/20/13 10:26 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm reaching the point where some testing is going to help us better guide DD's coursework, and she's turning six soon, so I know we're entering the sweet spot for IQ testing. I'm not sure we can get the school (charter) or district to pay for it, though.

I've found Dr Light online as someone local who is experienced testing gifted kids. Can anyone recommend her, and tell me how much testing (all the appointments etc) ended up being? You can PM me if you prefer smile

Has anyone around here found a grad student situation for testing?

Any other insight?

Thanks!

S
    S
    We used Dr. Light last summer for our DS. Her knowledge was invaluable. She had an insight into how to work with him. It definitely wasn't cheap -- I had a 1 hr consult before testing, 2 days of testing at apx 3 hrs each, and 1 hr consult with results. All that along with the time it took her to write report was just under $2500. We did do a variety of screenings as well. We did WISC and WIAT which is why she did testing over 2 days. I still find myself (almost a year later) using some of the techniques she used to get him to focus. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me. If you are concerned about any 2E issues -- she gets it spot-on.

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks! I'm not concerned about 2e in particular (well just stuff like DD picking at her lips til they bleed frown which might be sensory but not academics). But it sounds like she really gets these kids--thank you for the info!

J
    J
    Yes, Dr. Light is amazing. As a teacher and curriculum writer for gifted students I am really impressed with all of her suggestions. I have read a lot of her reports and they are very detailed with suggestions for learning styles etc. As a teacher, I appreciate all the insights. I recommend her for counseling as well. She is a fast thinker and really understands gifted kids quickly. You will save money on how fast she is. She is a great resource and willing to work with families. Also she is brilliant herself. If I had a gifted kid, they would be going to her for anything.

A
    agj Offline
    A
    She is amazing! A lifesaver for us at times!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    We just can't afford/justify $2500. That is a ton of money, just totally unrealistic for us. If things ever get crazy with DD perhaps, it's nice to know she's a resource here, but I wish there was a cheapo option in the area, too... So close and yet so far wink I just wish I had a better sense of DD's giftedness so I knew if I needed to advocate more or what. She's only going into first so hopefully we'll get a better sense as she gets further along.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM