Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    We love Dragon Box (although we have it on our Mac, so I don't know what the iPad iteration of it looks like). DD7, who's not so much into math but loves puzzles and games, is a huge fan. It's actually sneaky algebra.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    Z
    Z
    We took the dive at Christmas, too.

So far, popular apps:
    King of Math has timed math quizzes with scores and rank/titles
    Chemist is a full on chemistry experiment lab with hundreds of chemicals in the full version
    Brain Pop hundreds of animated nuggets of knowledge with quizzes
    and Discovery Education has an optimized iPad web interface for its extensive video library.

Thanks Zen - chemist was awesome! DS loved it although he's very annoyed there is no tutorial or instructions. But he got out his chemistry encyclopedia and later stead between making things which are real and inventing things he could name himself. Great solution for a kid who is not getting into the lab for a LOOOONNNG time.

DeHe

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by staceychev
    We love Dragon Box (although we have it on our Mac, so I don't know what the iPad iteration of it looks like). DD7, who's not so much into math but loves puzzles and games, is a huge fan. It's actually sneaky algebra.

I just purchased & installed it on my iPad, and DS8 is loving it so far. (I was trying to explain how it works and he pulled the iPad out of my hand and said in an exasperated voice "mommy, I can figure it out!" lol)

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Thanks Zen - chemist was awesome! DS loved it although he's very annoyed there is no tutorial or instructions. But he got out his chemistry encyclopedia and later stead between making things which are real and inventing things he could name himself. Great solution for a kid who is not getting into the lab for a LOOOONNNG time.

DeHe

Welcome! Yea, that was our thing too, to do experiments now. We get some science kits and DS7 takes any chemical warnings and "adult only" rules very seriously. Which I suppose is a good thing for a kid who regularly walks around with pizza sauce unbeknowingly smeared on his forehead. Instructions for Chemist would be nice as well as the chemical names on the label information.

B
    B
    The Atlantic has a long article

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/the-touch-screen-generation/309250/
    The Touch-Screen Generation: Young children—even toddlers—are spending more and more time with digital technology. What will it mean for their development?
    by HANNA ROSIN
    MAR 20 2013

about how children use digital technology and how much parents should allow them to. A number of iPad apps are mentioned.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    P
    P
    Just found a new game we love--Crayon Physics. We have Android though, so don't know if you can get it for Apple.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM