Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all! I'm new here and would love to join in the discussions. You all seem so knowledgable and supportive.
    I'll try my best to be brief, but it will be hard to not ramble wink

My DS6 is in K in a large public school system and is identified gifted. I feel overpowered by the district, despite knowledge of educational laws in my state (PA). Nothing from my son's very vague GIEP was followed through this year. He is capable of learning several grade levels above the curriculum. During his last GIEP the gifted coordinator suggested that the district would not accelerate in the classroom in 1st grade. More specifically, she said some vague thing about how they could "enrich" in the classroom BUT (exact words): "Can we give him material from the second grade math curriculum? No" This is a kid who learned in under an hour the concept of binary numbers and how to add them and convert to base 10. SO, I'm trying to get him accelerated to 2nd but hear all the usual about social/emotional issues, what happens when friends get driver's license, his writing is "only" strong when comparing him to other Kindergarteners, blah blah blah... I sent a letter to the principal requesting acceleration last week but have not heard back from her. His next GIEP is June 6, but that doesn't leave enough time to prepare him for next year, etc..

FWIW, I applied to Davidson YS for my DS6, was asked for "more information" which I submitted, and am now waiting to see if he is accepted.
    Sorry for the ramble! I could really use the support from folks like yourself who have way more experience advocating for your children.

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Jool

WElcome Jool!

I was told the same thing by the Gifted coordinator when my son was pulled out for math with her. He's in 2nd grade. She said the first thing I tell them is that I can't give them 3rd or even 4th grade work. Instead the spent the 1hr/week for 6weeks playing chess, Blokus, some other games. Now DS had a great time and I was so happy he had this bright spot in his week. But NOTHING changed in the classroom.

We have no such animal as a GIEP. But it's only worth the paper it's written on if the school doesn't follow it. I wish you luck in your advocacy. I don't have any advice, others here are more experienced than I.

I haven't applied to DYS for my DS7 but we're still welcome here anyhow. smile

Dazey

A
    A
    Hi Jool! I'm sorry to hear about your battle.

Dottie's idea of going through due process seems like a good place to start. And if you are looking for your own information you could get a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scale. I bought one recently from B&N.com, and I know Amazon sells them too. I wanted one just to see where my daughter falls on the scales, and if we wanted to start the acceleration process I wouldn't be in the dark about it. It requires test scores, but I assume you have them for your application to DYS.

I don't understand why teachers and schools are so hesitant to offer accelerated math. Isn't that exactly what they do in reading groups? I mean, my DD6 is in K but her little reading group of 3 is reading books at the 3rd grade level in their reading sessions. This seems perfectly normal for the subject of reading; I don't see why it can't be the same for math. At our school I do think that they try to somewhat individualize by teaching math in small groups within the classroom, but I don't think they do it as well as they do with reading. I can imagine your frustration.

I'm still new at this myself but have felt very welcome here. I think you will too. I wish you the best!

Amy

Most schools I've heard of don't group for reading anymore either. I know ours doesn't.

As I understand it, grouping (teaching kids in groups of similar ability and/or achievement) got unfairly associated with tracking (once you're on this track you can't get off it) in the minds of many people, and it has lately been considered an elitist teaching strategy. As that's frowned upon, there's a lot less grouping than there used to be. It's a shame because it's one proven teaching strategy that allows kids of all ability levels to advance.

Count your lucky stars that you have grouping in reading! Maybe you can get them to apply that idea to math, too. More power to you!

(While you're at it, can you get reading groups back in my local school, please?)

wink

Kriston
    Hi Jool,

Good luck with DYS app. My DD8 was just shy of achievement testing scores, however, I am welcome here as well.
    In fact any parent of GT kids that feels the need for discussion and support is welcome here, IMHO.
    You're lucky you hooked up with Dottie, she knows ALOT! Especially about the PA system.

Good luck
    Neato

If they haven't been following his GIEP, I would think you need to file a complaint rather than go to due process. Isn't due process for disagreements about the content of the GIEP? Come to think of it, maybe you need to do both...

I agree that in such situations you do need to make the school understand that you are persistent, well-informed and that you are going to hold them to the letter of the law. At least, that worked for us when we were advocating for DD's 504. They actually assumed I had a lawyer because of all the legal information I had amassed wink

Just last night I was reading something which may be helpful to you: http://print.ditd.org/Guidebook1.pdf

It's important to keep a professional demeanor and to document everything. Verbal exchanges can be documented using "letters of understanding" but all official requests you make should be dated and in writing.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    ...they'll often have a slick greasy lawyer all ready for the fight.

<eyeroll> And don't believe a thing those guys say. They will say things that are patently false if they think it will help their case. If they quote some policy, code, regulation, whatever, your standard reply should be that you need a legal citation and copy of said policy, code, etc.

The cool thing is that if you document all the cr@p they spew out of their mouths it can really help you during due process! I have numerous quotes from administrators proving that our district has repeatedly violated the law mad .

Originally Posted by Jool
    Hi all! I'm new here and would love to join in the discussions. You all seem so knowledgable and supportive.
    I'll try my best to be brief, but it will be hard to not ramble wink

My DS6 is in K in a large public school system and is identified gifted. I feel overpowered by the district, despite knowledge of educational laws in my state (PA). Nothing from my son's very vague GIEP was followed through this year. He is capable of learning several grade levels above the curriculum. During his last GIEP the gifted coordinator suggested that the district would not accelerate in the classroom in 1st grade. More specifically, she said some vague thing about how they could "enrich" in the classroom BUT (exact words): "Can we give him material from the second grade math curriculum? No" This is a kid who learned in under an hour the concept of binary numbers and how to add them and convert to base 10. SO, I'm trying to get him accelerated to 2nd but hear all the usual about social/emotional issues, what happens when friends get driver's license, his writing is "only" strong when comparing him to other Kindergarteners, blah blah blah... I sent a letter to the principal requesting acceleration last week but have not heard back from her. His next GIEP is June 6, but that doesn't leave enough time to prepare him for next year, etc..

FWIW, I applied to Davidson YS for my DS6, was asked for "more information" which I submitted, and am now waiting to see if he is accepted.
    Sorry for the ramble! I could really use the support from folks like yourself who have way more experience advocating for your children.

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Jool

Jool,
    Good luck with the davidson application, but be assured that you are welcome here no matter what the outcome. Also be assured that kids who are 'near YSP' levels really do need more than the 'standard GIEP' stuff. Is the problem mostly in Math, or is that just the most easily illustrated problem?

Is he happy socially with his agemates?

Do you have other options, such as part time school, private school, online classes?

Part of advocacy is recognising that no matter what you do, or how you do it, there are times when one just can't get what they want from a particular school situation. So yes, do the procedures and go to due process, but my advice is that if you have reasonable alternatives, don't let your son's days and weeks and months get eaten up by the process. Many of us parents are quite successful in other areas of our lives, and have the unconsious idea that if we just 'do it right' then surely the schools will do what's right for our child. So do push a bit, but also sit down and write out what your goals, resources and alternatives are, and where your boundaries are. Don't worry about rambling here - we have large chunks of our lives as parents what have never has a chance to be said aloud before. Have a seat, here's some ((insert beverage and food of choice.)) You are amoung friends.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Yes, certainly not everyone here has a Young Scholar, and we don't check IQ scores at the door. If you find what you need here, then you belong here. Period.

smile

It's a very welcoming place. Home!

P.S. Really great advice about the alternatives and resources and not spinning your wheels with advocacy, Grinity. Kudos there!

Last edited by Kriston; 05/03/08 10:03 AM. Reason: Added the P.S. that I meant to add the first time, but was distracted by my kids gluing themselves to my table... Not literally of course!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM