Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    So I had a quick, impromptu meeting with dd's teacher in regards to what I mentioned in this thread: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted...._s_too_late_to_do_anything_i.html#UNREAD

It didn't go well. Despite the fact my dd rarely misses any problems on math tests or homework she just doesn't think my dd is performing at the level I seem to think she needs. She didn't come out and say it but basically said that my dd is not the top performer in the class when it comes to math. She also said she is not an out of the box thinker like the other kids who qualified for the G&T class next year. She also said that when dd writes she always writes about the same characters. She will write to fit the assignment but it's always the same characters. I took this to mean that she doesn't think my dd is creative. It felt like she had really nothing nice to say at all about my dd and seems to have no faith in her abilities.

We did discuss the challenges that I feel are/could be affecting dd's ability to perform which are perfectionism, performance anxiety, perhaps dd doesn't put forth an effort b/c she doesn't see the point, she's an introvert and daydreams.

Dd did confide to me today that when she is asked a question she worries that she will get it wrong and then she can't think clearly. I'm guessing this means mostly when she is asked a question in class but perhaps on paper too, idk. I have witnessed her 'freezing up' before when put on the spot. I also openly admitted that my dd can be very lazy. She will do the bare minimum to get by unless something is driving her (like her plays she likes to write, she absolutely loves to write plays).

The teacher openly admits that dd is extremely introverted, doesn't participate, doesn't engage, keeps to herself, offers nothing, etc.

When I told her dd is only driven to do things when it interests her otherwise she does things quickly to be done with it. Her response was dd is just gonna have to learn to deal with being bored or uninterested b/c life is full of situations like that. Nice huh? And she went so far as to say maybe dd should be in a montessori school if that's the type of learning style she wants. She said that any differentiation should be done at home and that she won't do it in the classroom and hopes that dd will be happier next year in the G&T class.

The whole meeting just left me feeling very hurt about this opinion she has formed about my dd. I'm also worried that the G&T class will be too hard for my dd if the teacher feels she isn't performing at what she feels is a level that warrants being admitted to the program (in comparison to the other students in her class who qualified).

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 03/18/13 07:54 PM.
    M
    M
    This is what scares me most of all. Teachers who don't realize what these kids are capable of! I was always lucky to have teachers who realized early on that by keeping me happy doing more advanced work that I enjoyed, it made their lives easier teaching the rest of the class! I only hopes my boys will be just as lucky ... I hope!

P
    P
    In my parent teacher interview last week I mentioned that ds needed to be challenged - there was a perceptible drop in temperature. He did give me challenge maths homework. Lists of 20 addition and subtraction problems intended for 'mad minutes?' apparently they get harder and "don't worry about the time thing". The only way I can keep him focused is to time it as they are just "more of the same".

So I feel your pain but I can't help.

O
    O
    While it's true that parents do need to provide part of the differentiation, the teacher also appears to be part of what I've all too often observed, if it causes them more work, they're quick to try and avoid it.

I've yet to see a school that can effectively meet the differentiation needs of a GT student with the resources available, expect to be a strong part of the solution by providing opportunities outside of school, however, when a teacher / school tries to completely shift that responsibility to others, there is something very wrong.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations