Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #151274 03/18/13 01:07 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    hello everyone!

my DD5 attends an independent school, specifically chosen because they have no academic ceiling. unfortunately, DD is experiencing social withdrawal from the kids in her class, even though the teachers perceive her as massively popular. she unfortunately doesn't feel outgoing connections to kids her age (her good friends from dance are all 7 and 8 - she was accelerated a few times there.)

she's so unhappy at school and has associated her stomach aches with her anxiety about fitting in and has started refusing to go. she complains that all the other kids get "baby work" and that it's not fair her work is harder (apparently even with her fooling the teachers?!) when quizzed on it, she articulates that of course she pretends she can't - "it's better to be dumb at school." she is dumbing herself down to fit in with kids she doesn't even relate to - and then is irritated by them when she's so successful that they follow her around like puppies. quite a paradox!

she is doing math and reading at Gr. 3-4, and i know this is just the tip of the iceberg - since you can only test based on what she's been exposed to. this weekend she independently drew a number line with negative numbers on it and showed me how she could calculate a jump or drop in temperature using it. (ahhh, Canada!) we're constantly running into situations where she just has an insight and wants to develop it - it's really, really fun. we have never pushed academics with her (duh - just turned 5) but she's got a boatload of interests that will not be denied.

we recently met with the teachers, and it turns out she's hiding her ability so well that she had them completely fooled, except for her insane vocabulary, which probably should have been a tip-off? but throughout the meeting, they kept saying the words, "doing just fine," and "perfectly average."

last week, i met with the VP to find out what options/support might be available... and was bluntly advised to get a copy of The Hurried Child (which i did. always happy for any/all insight, i read the book extremely thoughtfully, but it's really, really not our situation.) it's actually ironic, since the book even says that it doesn't apply to gifted kids, who absolutely need to be challenged.

i am due to have a second meeting with the VP later this week - how do i handle the fact they strongly believe we are simply pushing her beyond her limits?

i don't want to just go in and throw down test scores because my real concern isn't the academics, but the apathy and the disconnection, which they should be able to accomodate. i thought i might bring in some sketches of her inventions and the negative integer number line to use as examples of her engagement at home. would that be too confrontational?

i really thought she would expand in this environment, but she seems weirdly diminished, you know? any help/ideas/approaches are welcome - i really want to avoid coming off like the parent they seem to think i am!

thanks!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    S
    S
    Sometimes a little show and tell is helpful.

At the beginning of the school year I brought in a shopping bag of a sampling of books that my son read over the summer. (He read something like 48 big chapter books in 72 days). His two teachers' eyes got really big. I told them that yes they did need to form their own opinions about him but not to underestimate him and to please challenge him because if they didn't he would just make up challenges (and they might not like what he made up for himself and he might become a behavioral problem if they didn't).

Later on when his gifted testing came back (that was in the works from the previous year) we had another meeting and they mentioned my shopping bag full of books having shocked them but gave them a better insight into his abilities and drive.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    U
    I don't know--with what you describe, test scores sound like what you need. Girls can be sneaky and are good at fitting in. Do you have any? Has the school done any assessments?

With that at your back, THEN I would talk about the emotional stuff, which, yes, most schools do rightly want to address.

And now at 11, we are still in the quandry of offering more advanced material without the hours of homework.

:yes:

DD13 doesn't need to do all of that practice to learn, and that still leaves her well apart from many peers. She has managed to escape some of this by attending an online public school-- so the fact that an AP-heavy demanding senior-level course load only takes her about three hours to polish off daily with straight A's... well, it leaves her time to do other things she wants to do. KWIM?

That would NOT be possible in a brick and mortar setting at all. They'd throw MORE work at her, not allow her 'free time' as long as it was all going well and she seemed happy. SO I agree with the OP about the theory of a 'non-leveled' school being the right sort of idea for this kind of thing. On the other hand, it doesn't sound as though this is working very well because she can SEE that she isn't doing what others are doing, and it feels maybe a little unfair to her?

DD has learned not to tell others how little time it takes her to do so well. That would be rude, given that many of her classmates (3-5y older) are working pretty long hours to get the same A's she does.

This is the plus side of the online school. Because it's mostly assessment-based, basically she can use ANY method and any amount of TIME she needs to learn the material well, and then ace the assessment, and earn a good grade for the material. It has required a fair amount of dedicated hectoring on OUR part, though, so that she develops actual study and note-taking skills.

On the BAD side, because the assessments are frequently short, multiple choice that are really badly written? Yeah, perfectionism in a HUGE way. Anything less than 100% is cause for a certain amount of angst much of the time.

I also agree that as long as they hide, they are pretty much bound to be miserable to some degree.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD has learned not to tell others how little time it takes her to do so well. That would be rude, given that many of her classmates (3-5y older) are working pretty long hours to get the same A's she does.

I think always liked to know where I stood, intellectually speaking, so if someone could do something much better than me because they were inherently better than me, I would know that it was an unreachable goal (for me).

For example, I didn't get bent out of shape when I *didn't* win the national spelling bee.

I've always thought that it's a good idea to know who is significantly inherently intellectually better than you so that you *don't* compete with them and so that you keep mental lists of people who may be useful in the future if you have specific problems that someone else might be able to solve in a heartbeat.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    oh, thank you all! i left my proto-conclusions out of my post because i really wanted to see what the seasoned advice would be and i have so much confidence now.

i think i will bring in the "show and tell" since she's not showing her real self to them - that part isn't their fault, and if they are the school they claim to be, they should be excited to see it.

the testing is coming - i've been reluctant because of the confrontational aspect, but we are definitely on that path. if we'd been at the neighbourhood school, we likely would have done it last winter - it would have seemed like a "must-have", given my experience at the open house.

part of the reason i've been slow to notice the differences is that i've always assumed children have SO much in there if only we assume they *can*. i think my personal bias really clouded my vision about my own kid. it really wasn't until the school setting where i realized that even the self-selecting Reggio/independent families don't live every day in this heightened state of awareness and learning.

and the next conversation with the VP will concentrate on the emotional issues. our initial meeting was framed that way (by me) but we got quite sidetracked by the introduction of The Hurried Child. as parents, we have a duty to help DD with strategies to improve her school experience, and she has a responsibility to implement them, but the school (of *all* the schools) has a responsibility to do their part.

i really, really think she needs a grade skip at the very least - because our home environment is enriched (by her) already, and it is not reasonable to expect her to do 100% of her meaningful activities at home. hilariously, the teachers suggested an online math program i could do with her - totally missing the point that at home, we don't really need one because she sees math *everywhere*.

thank you all, again, for reaffirming my plans - i know it's a long game, and we may be right back here in a few years, but i feel like i'm catching up a bit and you have all really helped me!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    T
    T
    We parent the same way and have similar kids, OP. And we had the same issues with the school. I love how they told you you're hothousing and then suggested you do a math curriculum at home.

I would definitely get IQ testing, it measures potential, not achievement, so it will bolster your point that you have not pushed her. But don't expect it to be the magic bullet. They might be quite capable of saying "1 in 50000 IQ? Still needs to work on handwriting and focus in class". We were the only ones surprised by the test results. The teachers who'd been stalling us knew the order of magnitude of the issue.

I stress that I want my child to learn to work hard, that doing well in life requires application, focus and resilience, which you don't learn by sitting at the back of the class with a novel. You learn it by doing things which are at the limits of what you already know, and sometimes failing at them.

And if you're already paying for schooling, I'd look around for other options. Our problems were solved by finding the right school.

Good luck!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    thanks so much, Tallulah! it's such a relief to feel less alone. thanks for the tips - and you're right, the resilience is really the key, isn't it?

i sat in the teacher interview and literally said, "i feel like she needs more failure in her life," and then i saw how foreign that seemed to them. i think that was where i realized we had to escalate, even though the school prides itself on not having an academic ceiling.

paying for this school is a herculean effort for us (my husband's take-home is 100% whisked away by it), so you're right - if we're paying, we'd better be paying for the right school. food for thought, definitely.

thanks again!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I would definitely get IQ testing, it measures potential, not achievement, so it will bolster your point that you have not pushed her. But don't expect it to be the magic bullet. They might be quite capable of saying "1 in 50000 IQ? Still needs to work on handwriting and focus in class".

Ditto!

I would try to leave the frustration you rightly feel over the suggestion you are "hurrying" her and gather as much data as you can before your next meeting to advocate. Having IQ testing will help; the other thing that will help is familiarizing yourself with the school (and your school district and state) curriculum guidelines for her current grade and the grade levels she's capable of working at or has already mastered.

For instance (please know I am not trying to pick apart your post here, just offering this up as an example where the school staff might try to trip you up in an advocacy meeting): you said above that she's doing "math and reading at Gr 3-4", and then you mentioned her figuring out the negative number line. If you're going to offer that up as an example of her working at Gr 3-4, make sure that's when it's introduced in her school - my kids were all introduced to the concept of negative numbers in school before Gr 3.

You also need to be prepared, as Tallulah mentioned, to continue to meet the same brick wall of resistance. Sometimes no matter how good a fit a school seems when you're looking in from the outside, it doesn't necessarily work out that well once you're actually there.

Hang in there!

polarbear

D
    OP Offline
    D
    that is a great point about pinpointing the specific Grade Level for any examples i might use! i have been fearful of confrontation, but i am feeling encouraged by all the suggestions.

the Gr. 3-4 comment comes purely from me checking out the curriculum on a case-by-case basis - there have been random things from beyond that (reducing fractions etc) but i have no wish to "round up" her ability.

it's tricky since we have simply followed her lead and not attempted to guide her through curriculum in any particular order. i expect there will be gaps when i sort through it with a fine tooth comb - although (ha!) maybe that could be considered evidence that we're not pushing?

we're getting the testing for sure, and the point is well taken that it measures potential - that's probably more meaningful in this context than the curriculum/ achievement.

thank you so much - i really appreciate all the feedback!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM