Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Our DS7 REALLY wants to go to an overnight chess camp this summer. He is pretty secure for his age but also introverted (not shy, but definitely needs his alone time, especially in overstimulating environments).

The camp is about 45 minutes away from our home but other than calling and speaking with the director, an International Chess Master, we won't know the people or counselors ahead of time. I could go as a parent (many do)but then I would have my older son along and chess camp is definitely, not his type of thing.

Has anyone else sent their little ones to overnight camp (this one is 5 nights) and can provide assurance or cautious pointers. Anyone have previous experience with the Mountain Lake Chess Camp (San Diego Region)?

Thanks!

U
    U
    My DD went last year when she was 8 (summer after 2nd grade) and had a fabulous time. No issues.

Has your DS done sleepovers at other people's houses?

E
    E
    My DD, who cas be somewhat anxious, went to Girl Scout overnight camp (5 nights) in the summer between 1st and 2nd and she was fine - she had a great time. There are a lot of kids who get homesick, but the counselors are trained to deal with that.

Dude's idea about sleepovers is a good one. I think it also helped my DD to "practice" sleeping in her sleeping bag before the camp - but maybe they will be indoors at his camp and that won't be a factor?

H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    All good stuff. Thank you.

He is a young 7, but finishing 2nd grade (public) in a few months. My big concern is the age spread. Something about the possibility of older kids influencing a young, impressionable kid. I guess I need to inquire about the counselors.

He will go to an overnight camp with his older brother two weeks before- but that is a Christian based camp with counselors we know well. How much trouble could chess nerds cause.... : )

S
    S
    Wow-- that looks like a great camp! I wish it was closer to us because my dd7 would LOVE to do that! She wouldn't normally want to do such a long camp (she doesn't want to do the week-long sleep away camp her brothers do), but she would toss her fears to the wind for chess or horses!

I would be concerned about the age spread as well. Sounds like you need to give them a call and find out what kind of protections/oversight are in place for children. I think if my dd wanted to go really badly, I'd let her after doing my due diligence that she would be properly supervised.

Last edited by syoblrig; 03/15/13 09:28 PM.
    Val Offline
    My daughter went to an overnight camp (6 nights; 4 hours from home) last year when she was 7. She begged us to let her go. We weren't sure what to do because the camp was for kids aged 8 and up. Then, in the spring, went to a party for campers. The camp director (who knew our eldest pretty well) said she'd be fine.

So off she went.

She had a wonderful time and didn't cry until the day she had to go home. She's going back this year.

All that said, I think a lot depends on the kid. But if your son is asking you, it's a good sign (IMO).

Last edited by Val; 03/15/13 09:38 PM.
    N
    N
    My DD went to 5 nights of girl scout camp (3+ hours away) when she was 5 - summer between 1st and 2nd grade. This past summer, at age 7, she went to 13 nights at a very physical outdoorsy camp (4+ hours away) - ropes courses, zip lines, horseback riding, watertubing, overnight trips away from camp, etc.
    She had a wonderful time, only a few minor twinges of homesickness, and came back with a lot of confidence and long distance phone numbers!
    She had quiet time each afternoon and bedtime for reading, letter writing, etc.
    This is the same child who has called us at midnight multiple times from local sleepovers crying to come home. She says that it freaks her out to be the only one awake at an unknown house (she stays up late reading), but that at camp she is so exhausted that it's much easier to fall asleep at night and that when it's lights out time she can't read anymore and has no choice but to fall asleep with everyone else.
    This summer she is begging to go to a 2-week camp halfway across the country...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM