Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    Eibbed Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I am done with the cold and, at least in this area, the wind! I'm so so so done with the wind! This leaves me dreaming of warmer weather and long summer days. What do you have planned for your DC this summer?

DS5 will be attending a school Eco-Tech camp, hopefully a week at a local Friends' School camp, and a Building camp. I need to get him registered for a nature camp/experience of some sort.

DD4 will be joining him at the Friends' camp and doing an Angelina Ballerina camp. I'm still looking for a few more things for her.

Last edited by Eibbed; 03/15/13 09:45 AM.
    P
    P
    DD8 will be doing 2 weeks of theater camp, a week of a Farm to Table nature/cooking camp and a week with Audubon catching, tagging and releasing various marine life.

Other parents are telling me that they are stressing "unstructured time" as much as possible over the summer but that just doesn't work for DD.

E
    E
    One week of THINK camp, three weeks of Girl Scout camp, two weeks of theater day camp, I think a week or two of "vanilla" day camp, and a family trip to Yellowstone for DD9. DSalmost5 will be in daycare all summer, except for the family trip to Yellowstone and a trip to the Davidson Summit.

L
    L
    If all goes well, my son will be having surgery and will spend all summer recovering. His activities will be severely restricted.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    If all goes well, my son will be having surgery and will spend all summer recovering. His activities will be severely restricted.

frown

DD is hoping for a science internship. We won't know until the end of April.
    Alternatively, she might have a radically different internship opportunity with a family friend who works in a creative publishing industry, which she would probably love just as much as the science internship.

She wants to take guitar or accordion lessons this summer, and she will also be volunteering for the local food bank and participating in "Plant a Row" for the second summer.

Other than that, the usual 4-H frenzy; we already know that she's going to state for public speaking, and probably will again for photography, other communications and arts projects, and her animal projects. (In a division with participants 2-5 years older than herself, no less-- which no doubt belonged in the brag thread, but oh well... )

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    dd12 will be doing 2 2-week sessions of drama camp, tennis camp, hopefully a trip to Lake Tahoe to visit family, beach trip, and that should wrap it up.

dd5--remains to be seen. Swim team, so far for sure. Probably tennis. Poor 3rd neglected child. Maybe drama camp. Maybe chess? Hmmm...I better get busy!

L
    L
    If I can get DD3.5 to learn swimming this summer, that would be great! Also, we are starting a garden so that will keep us busy. We are also visiting family overseas for 3 weeks. Like Eibbed,DD and I cannot wait for warmer weather so we can hike, go to the playground, and stay outdoors all day long!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    she will also be volunteering for the local food bank and participating in "Plant a Row" for the second summer.

HK, is this a program where you grow a row of food in your home garden to donate to the food bank? We have a similar program here and I *love* it! I think it is such a cool idea!

polarbear

Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    she will also be volunteering for the local food bank and participating in "Plant a Row" for the second summer.

HK, is this a program where you grow a row of food in your home garden to donate to the food bank? We have a similar program here and I *love* it! I think it is such a cool idea!

polarbear

Yup-- it's a nationwide initiative. My DD loves doing this.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM