Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
    Kriston #15034 05/01/08 04:07 PM
    Ha, ha, the better scenario is when my 7th grader is in his LA class and he can only read a little bit of an assigned book and then he sits and waits until the rest of the class gets to the same point :-)

Kriston #15035 05/01/08 04:07 PM
    That sounds really frustrating. DD had to do a book report on Chester the Worldly Pig (a Bill Peet picture book.) I asked her why she doesn't do one on Little Women (which she is currently reading) and she said they were only allowed to choose books with full color illustrations ??? confused Whatever.

With reading I just have the kids rocket through the school reading and then they read to me at their challenge levels for 15 minutes. Also, I read to them from literature above their challenge levels at bedtime.

Kriston #15037 05/01/08 04:28 PM
    AARRGGHHH!!!! banging head on wall......

That stinks.....but don't give up hope, every year your child gets a new teacher. Maybe the next teacher will have a clue!
    Appreciating DD8's teacher this year, more and more.

incogneato #15086 05/02/08 08:15 AM
    Changing subject - but this is coffee thread after all...

Hate it, when school pictures are done twice a year!!!!
    Hate it even more, since the marketing technique is to send the whole package home for a parent to make a decision wether to purchase or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have now in front of me two beautiful faces, smiling at me from the picture. How do I say no to this ! I am not strong enough!!!!!!
    I am trying to teach my kids to spend less, to be less materialistc in this very materialistic society. We really do not need those pictures!!!!!!

Dottie #15100 05/02/08 10:05 AM
    Speaking of evil marketing geniuses charged with figuring out ways to seperate me from my money:

What's up with those Webkinz people. I'm starting to feel a certain hostility towards them.

2 girls, 28 webkinz, 2 lipglosses, several charms, 2 notebook sets, 6 webkinz outfits( are you kidding me?!?!?!?!), 2 "figurines" and one wacky zingoz thingy that talks adds up to a heckuva lotta money for ONE video game.

I ain't so bright, apparantly. smile

incogneato #15107 05/02/08 11:41 AM
    E
    E
    lol, I've just spent some time catching up here in the cafe.

I sympathize with your son for the Hell incident, Squirt. I remember in 3rd grade failing my first public speaking assignment for using the word bitch. The problem was I was talking about female dogs at the time... I really didn't get along with that teacher. I do remember that my parents did not get upset with me and showed me their support even though there was nothing they could do about the school situation smile I still hate public speaking though...

Since we raise and show dogs, bitch was a term that I used in normal conversation when I talked about the dogs. In fact if you go to dog shows the classes are broken down by sex and referred to as dogs and bitches. You can even have a winners bitch smile Until my third grade experience, I never even knew that it was a derogatory word in certain situations. I thought if someone was called a bitch they were just being referred to as female ROFL

Needless to say, DS has been informed that while it is an appropriate word around the show ring, not to use it anywhere else smile

elh0706 #15118 05/02/08 02:03 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Coming back to movies:

have you seen 'I am legend' ? Would you believe that I could not sleep two nights ago thinking how I would feel if I were the only survivol, appart of some creepy creatures that live at night?

I am going now to sleep....

Good night smile

Isa #15119 05/02/08 02:33 PM
    I have not seen that, but I want to. It's good? I usually don't get creeped out by movies, except for The Ring. The night I watched it I woke up and thought I heard the phone ringing and had a total panic attack. Of course I was only dreaming but that dumb movie got under my skin.

incogneato #15451 05/07/08 01:10 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I have not seen that, but I want to. It's good? I usually don't get creeped out by movies, except for The Ring. The night I watched it I woke up and thought I heard the phone ringing and had a total panic attack. Of course I was only dreaming but that dumb movie got under my skin.

well... it has some nice special effects... not bad if it is raining outside or is too cold... but do not expend too much money in it.

Unless of course you find Will Smith yami blush ....

I have not seen the Ring, aside of the one with Vigo ... mmmm another one ....

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM