Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    GAW Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
    I know that a 4th grade kid got 275.

So mine was close smile Let's hope when she is the 4th grade, she will get 275 smile

Last edited by GAW; 03/11/13 03:27 PM.
    F
    F
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    Yes, a subtest. But never a RIT score. NWEA insists it is possible, but I've seen hundreds of reports at this point, including some from very advanced DYS kids. (I am writing a document for our school for teachers to better use RIT scores to inform their teaching.)

If you look at something like this- https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.powayusd.com%2Fprojects%2Fedtechcentral%2Fmaps%2FPDFs%2FCorrelation%2F12-13CorrelationFinal%2FK-5CorrelationChart12-13final.pdf

and this-

You can see that even this district's GATE students aren't scoring that high in math
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.powayusd.com%2Fprojects%2Fedtechcentral%2Fmaps%2FPDFs%2FCorrelation%2F12-13CorrelationFinal%2F6-9CorrelationChart12-13final.pdf

Essentially, from all I've studied about NWEA, the RIT scale is continuous- meaning you can compare score to score to show an individual student's growth. But the tests, particularly when comparing the primary to the 6+, are simply too different (both in types of questions and format) to really know how a kid would actually do. NWEA says the question bank is the same but I've messed with it enough to know this isn't true.
    neither link worked for me

C
    C
    Sorry I am mobile today and my google docs viewer isn't happy to cut and paste I guess. Find the www in both links and cut and paste from there.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by GAW
    allegedly NJ does not allow kids skip the grades.

Not true at all. I teach HS in NJ and have a 14 year old in my honors sophomore class who was skipped in elementary. It really depends on the district. There's nothing specific in NJ's code that allows or disallows it. I'd push your principal if you think it's the right route for your child.

Here's a link to NJ's FAQ, which specifically states that acceleration may be an appropriate accomodation:
    http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/faq/faq_gandt.htm

Here's another link that may be helpful:
    http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Resources/Policy/By_State/Show_Policy.aspx?StateID=35

Last edited by staceychev; 03/12/13 11:37 AM.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    C
    C
    If she took the 6+ test, then it's possible to get a 273.

(I think maybe your posts were being held for moderation since you're a new poster- sorry for things sounding disjointed!)

Last edited by CAMom; 03/12/13 05:11 PM.
    G
    GAW Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by staceychev
    Originally Posted by GAW
    allegedly NJ does not allow kids skip the grades.

Not true at all. I teach HS in NJ and have a 14 year old in my honors sophomore class who was skipped in elementary. It really depends on the district. There's nothing specific in NJ's code that allows or disallows it. I'd push your principal if you think it's the right route for your child.

Here's a link to NJ's FAQ, which specifically states that acceleration may be an appropriate accomodation:
    http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/faq/faq_gandt.htm

Here's another link that may be helpful:
    http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Resources/Policy/By_State/Show_Policy.aspx?StateID=35

Thank you, I appreciate your input. I will have to talk to the principal. I was told (in the district) that they did not let skip grades because kids were not mature enough to attend higher grades...

First off, I'm going to guess that the math is actually a 237 not a 273? While they insist that MAP actually goes to 300, I haven't seen a 273 on a Math 2-5 test. Not ever, even when a kid got a perfect score- they will eventually run out of questions to answer, scoring roughly around a 260.

DS7 is in 3rd grade, so I would definitely guess got the 2-5 test, especially as his elementary school only goes to 5th grade. His latest math score was a 265. According to what I've read and been told, the main difference between tests is the starting point. I asked DS about the content of his last test, and he said that it had presented him with some algebra questions.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by GAW
    Thank you, I appreciate your input. I will have to talk to the principal. I was told (in the district) that they did not let skip grades because kids were not mature enough to attend higher grades...

I think that's a real myth. And it's pretty darn sad. Like the teacher my DD7 had last year who wouldn't give her harder work because she was immature. Um, yeah? She's SEVEN, lady!

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    C
    C
    Lucounu-
    That is true to a certain extent- the main difference is the starting point. However, the 2-5 test has a discontinuation criteria at the end of Algebra I topics and the question bank does not contain all the topics that are on the 6+ test. There is a lot of misunderstanding about the tests and the variations because in most cases, NWEA requires you to pay for a higher level training to get the real nitty-gritty info. Most schools cannot afford that. If you're really curious, ask your teacher for the Descartes Report with the individual subtest scores, as well as the Descartes Goals that include the "skills and concepts to introduce." You should get one for each subtest, of each test given (usually Reading, Language Usage and Math, though some give Science as well)

Lucounu-
    That is true to a certain extent- the main difference is the starting point. However, the 2-5 test has a discontinuation criteria at the end of Algebra I topics and the question bank does not contain all the topics that are on the 6+ test.

I know you know this, but how do you know? I believe it to be entirely possible to get a 273 score by taking the 2-5 test. DS's score placed him at the 92nd percentile for 11th graders as well as 92nd percentile for those who had finished Algebra 1. He also told me that the questions got past his knowledge level and he had the feeling he had missed some at the end, same as the other times he took the test.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs