Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #150394 03/09/13 10:03 PM
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Who was it that recommended Dreambox here recently? This is your fault. wink I signed Hanni up for a free trial, and now I can't get her off of it.

I have to admit I'm enthusiastic too, for different reasons. It forces her to focus and follow the rules, if she wants to keep playing. You can't have a power battle with Dreambox the way you can with Mom. And BAM, she has suddenly gotten concepts that I've been trying on and off to explain to her for months, except that she'd rather grab the manipulatives out of Mom's hand and make up her own rules.

I knew she was capable of getting this stuff, I knew it, but I wasn't willing to turn into gonzo hot-housing Mom. Well, Dreambox has accomplished in three hours on a Saturday afternoon what I could not.

Tomorrow should be . . . interesting.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    What kind of app is it? I searched "dreambox" on my iPad and all I could see was a TV remote app. (What am I missing?)

E
    E
    http://www.dreambox.com

It's a math teaching site. Lots of fun.

K
    K
    Dreambox fans here, we were some of the original users. The reports to parents and statistics are a plus.

E
    E
    I think that might have been me blush sorry?! It is so addictive! DS has played for about 25 hrs since 2/21. I really see him grasping some of the "strategies" that his school wants, a bit of the "deeper" they keep talking about.

Hanni appears to be DS5's age so I let you know that if she starts to hit 3rd grade material the learning environment will change from the primary, Adventure Stories, to an older one. There is no way to do the higher material on the fun, age appropriate, environment. I did call and ask. DS doesn't really seem to mind though.

I've also noticed that they seem to call themselves a curriculum but there are huge gaps in some of the things that they cover. There is nothing about shapes, dimensions, telling time, money, etc., at least that I've seen so far. At the rate he's going I guess I'll know for sure soon enough.

I'm glad to hear that Hanni is enjoying it!

S
    S
    We have really enjoyed dream box, too.

Anyone signed up through the homeschool buyers co-op know if you can purchase again through them and continue with the same student ID etc?

DD had to slog through some stuff to get to where it's fun again. We use it for enrichment and exploring math, not a whole curriculum. I always picture kids in a classroom having turns wink but DD definitely got a LOT out of it when she got into it. She would burn out and not save her work--having to build on the abacus perfectly even not messing up clicks! smirk anyway still value it.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    After zooming through half the Kinder stuff, Hanni hit a wall. She's getting implied subtraction problems: Basically A + ___ = B. It seems like a weird huge leap to throw at her. I could explain a strategy, but as I've noted before, she won't listen. Isn't that supposed to Dreambox's job? And it's not giving her any other types of games.

So now she's hugely frustrated and just wants to play the fruit-catching game in the arcade. Sigh. Maybe what I've really created is a video-game addict. shocked

Does anyone know what Dreambox will do if I tell Hanni to guess her way through? Will it figure out that she can't do it, and dial back the difficulty? (This is a regular game, not a pre-test game.)

E
    E
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Does anyone know what Dreambox will do if I tell Hanni to guess her way through? Will it figure out that she can't do it, and dial back the difficulty? (This is a regular game, not a pre-test game.)

Yes, it should dial back the difficulty in that case. What you don't want to do is let her quit out of the game and try something else because she can't get through it. My DD did that for a while and she basically got "locked," with nothing but half-finished games that were "too hard." We ended up taking a long break from Dreambox at that point and coming back later.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    She's getting implied subtraction problems: Basically A + ___ = B. It seems like a weird huge leap to throw at her.
    Rather than teach her a strategy, can you reframe the problem for her? Explain that the computer has a secret number, but is giving her a clue: A plus the secret number equals B. Can she find out what the computer's secret number is? Put like that DS was doing this kind of thing ridiculously young - may be just his weirdness, but I suspect it's actually that it's not hard if you look at it that way!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Rather than teach her a strategy, can you reframe the problem for her? Explain that the computer has a secret number, but is giving her a clue: A plus the secret number equals B.

No no, she totally gets what the structure of the problem is, and she can do it for very small numbers. What she can't do is implement an algorithm that will get her the answer -- for example, count up from 3 to 9, while ticking off on her fingers and then see how many fingers she used; or count down from 9 by exactly 3.

Last edited by MegMeg; 03/11/13 10:17 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM