Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I'll ask here about two topics of somewhat related interest. Some participants here on Gifted Issues may have already seen these questions posted elsewhere in cyberspace, but I want to make sure I hear your opinion too, so feel free to let me know what you think.

1) Good Topics for Advanced Workshops?

I'm writing what I call "Gifted 303" presentations to respond to requests from parents I've met at conferences and summer programs to build workshops that go beyond the basics. I'd appreciate your advice about what to include in those presentations. As one parent commented to me, "We all know how to use Google and look things up online." The content I hope to put into my presentations is all the good research information that isn’t online, as much current research in many disciplines is still only published in journals behind paywalls. I break through the paywalls by using my friendly local academic library and especially by participating in the local "journal club" of the University of Minnesota Department of Psychology that a local parent I know through Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented told me about.

So what are good topics to explore in greater depth? As a parent and as an attendee of many programs on gifted education over the years, I have my own pet issues that I like to look up and reality-check, but how about you? What's a good issue to do more research on that will be helpful to parents (like you) as the parents try to their best to meet the needs of gifted learners? Or, to emphasize the negative just a little, what do you think are some of the misconceptions that people with responsibility for gifted education believe despite evidence to the contrary? All in all, what would be good topics for Gifted 303 workshops for people who have already attended Gifted 101 workshops?

2) Good keynote speaker for MCGT 2013?

Who would be a good keynote speaker for the Minnesota Council for Gifted and Talented annual conference in November 2013? I would be especially glad to hear suggestions of a speaker who is not part of the list of usual suspects who do all the keynoting at conferences on gifted education. I'm looking for someone with a new, fresh perspective, and because I have attended conferences out of state, I've heard most of the usual big names more than once. Who is someone who has a new and different perspective on gifted education issues who would speak well with a helpful message to an organization that consists mostly of parents? The 2013 MCGT keynote speaker was Jim Delisle, who was well liked according to evaluation forms submitted by participants, but whom I had heard speak before. Who should the MCGT board consider for the 2013 conference? The board will decide this issue soon, and I'd like to consider all the possibilities.

"Students have no shortcomings, they have only peculiarities." Israel Gelfand
    Z
    Z
    Interesting... for question 1, I'd like see something about selling schools/teachers on accepting/understanding asynchrony. It comes up a ton; even with schools that seem to have everything else together.

Or maybe more directly about artificial barriers that are erected between gifted kids and their ideal placements, like Writing, Emotional control, Lack of self-advocacy, Speed, Lack of perfection, Inattentiveness, Social engagement, etc.

K
    K
    For advanced workshops, I find it helpful when they address practical strategies re how to deal with common issues for gifted kids. For example, some of the best "advanced" seminars that I have attended have addressed coping with anxiety, dealing with perfectionism and managing executive function challenges. Also, remind the speaker NOT to waste half the lecture on "gifted 101." If it is an advanced seminar, people already know this stuff and want to spend time on what to do to help their kid get over the speed bumps.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for the replies about Gifted 303 topics. Those were very helpful. I'd be delighted to hear other suggestions about advanced seminar topics too.

Does anyone have a conference speaker to recommend?

"Students have no shortcomings, they have only peculiarities." Israel Gelfand

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent